Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are the greatest scientists of the 20th century?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
    Thermoplastics used in most molded plastics. Also artificial rubber. Also the basis of foam for furniture, mattresses etc.
    Condoms .
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Whoever invented 'the pill'.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

The inventors of the transistor and IC should get some mention.
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
          Who discovered the structure of DNA?
          James Watson and Francis Crick (although mostly they stole the results of Rosalind Franklin)
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
            The inventors of the transistor and IC should get some mention.
            Bardeen, Schockley, and Brittain for the transistor.

Kilby and Noyce for the IC

Just FYI. Those aren't my votes.

Comment

I don't think there's been any great scientists. Everything major was inspired, dreamed up via the "out of the arse" approach to discovery, and was then proved later by someone else, not deduced experimentally. All of modern physics is made up, most of modern biology was just a matter of waiting for some engineer to invent a better microscope, and chemistry never helped anyone do anything except perhaps explode faster. Everything important in the last century is either maths or engineering.
              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
              X