Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who in the last 500 years will make the biggest impact on the next 500 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who in the last 500 years will make the biggest impact on the next 500 years?

JohnT nominated von Neumann and Turing. I nominated von Braun.

How about you? Multiple nominations are accepted, but don't list a half dozen without comment.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Actually, I changed my vote to Adam Smith if you recall.

Comment

OK, Adam Smith is a worthy nominee too. In fact, I agreed that he was one of the strongest candidates.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I'll go ahead and nominate Marx for this one for the obvious reason.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I think Einstein who essentially fathered quantum mechanics even tho' he didn't completely buy it deserves mention as that paved the way for lasers, semiconductors/transistors et.al.
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Bill Gates
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

How about a guy like Stephen Hawking, especially if his work on a unified theory of physics is succesfully concluded, either by himself (unlikely) or by future generations of scientists.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                Bill Gates
                Are you predicting that he will take over the world?
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Isaac Newton.
                  There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

MarkG

Comment

I'm wildly tempted to PM Ming and ask him to close this as a dulicate thread, but I'm not that mean.

***and Ming, it's NOT duplicate.
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Wernher "I shoot for the stars, but sometimes I hit London" von Braun

the sciences: Darwin - for adding dangerous amount of fuel to the religious fires that have been burning eternal.
                        politics/history: Nixon or Reagan - either one of them will be credited with the beginning of the end of the old times once the worker regains his rightful place. I can't nominate someone like FDR because he didn't invent any of those programs that he is so loved for--he just managed to get them put in place.
                        arts: Walt Disney - for being a major early player in the modern media business.

I'm forced to nominate some people I loathe, for they really do have more impact--one man can take society back by far more notches than one man can set it forward.
                        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Wernher "I shoot for the stars, but sometimes I hit London" von Braun
                          But when you think of space, who else is there? Even Goddard isn't of the same stature.

Comment

Ted Striker
                            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Sorry, Ted, but Ron Jeremy beats you .
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X