Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Prophesy/Free Will

Originally posted by Whoha

If the universe is deterministic then there is a fixed future, but to know that future is to be able to change it. so neither and both
    why does knowing imply being able to change?
    And why does deterministic future imply being able to know it?

Comment

Hey, maybe that's why prophets are so vague. If the absolute events were revealed to them, then those events wouldn't occur because people would know to do something else. The ONLY prophesy that has the remotest chance of coming true are those that are so hard to see that you can only see them in hindsight.

HA!

I'm on to something here!
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

A question, people:

What's the definition of free will?
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Free will or fixed future is also dependant on whether there is a single universe or a multi-verse.
          There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

There is no contradiction. People have free will to choose what they want, but it could still be possible to know what they're going to choose anyways (not that I actually believe in prophecy...). Like what Lancer said before: we know what people did in the past, so from our perspective, it's completely determined. But does that mean they did not have free will? Or take the idea of predestination. God may know everything that's going to happen, but can still punish us for sins, because we choose to commit them.

Comment

Foreknowledge != Foreordination
              "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

according to the 'normal' laws of nature everthing is a reaction to an action...so the future is already done...but according to the uncertainty principle of quantium mechanics and pyhsics nothing can be sure for 100% meaning that the future still has to be decided
                Bunnies!
                Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Originally posted by civman2000
                  There is no contradiction. People have free will to choose what they want, but it could still be possible to know what they're going to choose anyways (not that I actually believe in prophecy...). Like what Lancer said before: we know what people did in the past, so from our perspective, it's completely determined. But does that mean they did not have free will? Or take the idea of predestination. God may know everything that's going to happen, but can still punish us for sins, because we choose to commit them.
                  Now that would be a paradox.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

This is stupid.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by civman2000
                      This would imply, however, that God has no free will.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

"Prophersies are tricky things you see. They never tell you the whole truth...."
                        -the Master Buffy the Vampire Slayer
                        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

it's simple, there is no prophecy.

Comment

My concept of "free will" is better described as a "free won't". That is, the association areas of the neocortex act as a "veto" on our actions; basically, our large brains give us consciously mediated self control.

Comment

Just think about what effect knowledge of the future has on stock markets. Its an interesting thought experiment.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                                This is stupid.
                                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Working...
                                X