No announcement yet.

AIr America to be Investigated by Secret Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There goes your freedom of speech ... wasn't so strong now was it!

Anyway, again, this article only said they'll look into it and that's it. I hardly think making jokes about the president is illegal.

Shi, and why not? Who are you to judge what other people want to talk about, or JOKE about? Should we make a law what is humour and what is not, and who makes those limitations? Come on. Just because YOU don't want to do that, doesn't mean no one else wants to, adn just because you think it's not vital for freedom of speech, others might think exactly that.

There is a big difference making a joke and with plotting. Oh yes.. but the secret radio listeners are decoding the messages, waiting to make the hit... oddly enough, the message is... making a joke about it. Uhh.. no? Why not ham and toaster, jello and hamsters?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

When it comes to matters, this serious, we don't acknowledge the "only joking" defense. If you don't believe me, go to an airport and start joking about bombs and such, and see what happens to you.
      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Right, because it's the same as joking in radio etc? It's not the same and you know it. YOu just don't have any sense of humour and you are dry and prolly have dry skin also. Bah!!
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

On radio it is considered inciting violence against the Pres, joking or otherwise. Everyone in the US with half a brain realizes naaay knows its illegal. My guess is this was done to provoke exactly the reaction they got and if Randy Rhodes pays some type of legal price up to and including incarceration, they can scream bloody murder and oppression.

[monty python Holy grail]

See the violence inherent in the system

[/grail)
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

You Americans treat your Presidents with too much respect.

Yeah, the US is hilarious. A country founded on the rejection of hereditary kingship merely replaces a hereditary king you must grovel before with a consumer friendly version that you can replace to provide another groveling object.

Of course, advanced countries just did the sensible thing and got rid of rule by monarchy.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

According to Agathon, not talking about killing someone seems to be the equivalent of groveling. That would explain a lot about his demeanor.

Comment

I still contend you need at least half a brain to not talk about killing someone.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

According to Agathon, not talking about killing someone seems to be the equivalent of groveling. That would explain a lot about his demeanor.

According to Shi et al. the correct attitude to take towards the world is one of ignorant fascism.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Ogie, you beat me to it.

First we have dems throwing pies at opponents.

Next we have Dean frothing about Republicans being "evil" and "brain dead."

Now we have Air America assassinating the president in a skit run broadcast to America.

The Dems leadership and spokesmen either have gone completely insane, or they have been taken over by radicals, ala, the Weathermen. Never in the entire history of America has a political party acted in such a violent and aggressive manner.
                    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

"Never in the entire history of America has a political party acted in such a violent and aggressive manner."

Now, Ned, that's not true. The Democrats acted far worse during Reconstruction, when Democrats formed the KKK, harassed the reconstruction effort, and used violence against blacks that wanted to exercise their political rights. The Democrats have a come long way since then, give them some more time and they may one day act in a cilvilized manner.

Comment

I'm more of a fan of the 40-50's southern Demonrats myself topping the modern Dem for shrill and intolerant behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                          Every threat against the pres, any pres, is investigated and considered a crime. Any of us, left or right, that threatens the life of the pres will be prosicuted. I know, I saw it on TV.

Show me the threat. You and I both know there was none. This is a blatant political attack.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                            Anyway, they didn't "make political jokes a crime" (as happened during WW1), they're investigating a potential (regardless how slight) threat to the President. As is their job.

You should learn to read the original post.

"Even joking about shooting the president is a crime, let alone doing it on national radio... we are taking this very seriously," a government source explained.
                            The quote makes it very clear.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

No it's not. It's the Secret Service doing their jobs.

It's like the police and crime tips. 99% of them will be shiite, the police know that 99% will be shiite, they can identify which ones are going to be shiite prior to the fact, but they still check it out, just in case.

Of course the "joke" wasn't a viable threat. But law enforcement officials have to treat is as such, or else they would not be doing their jobs properly.
                              Last edited by JohnT; April 27, 2005, 16:52.

Comment

I'd just like to see the brave editors at Air America try to pass this off as the aberant act of a very low level producer.
                                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Working...
                                X