No announcement yet.

Florida brings back the old West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The GOP thoroughly controls both houses in Florida. Bipartisan support is meaningless.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Nonsense. Its the same arguement that credits exclusively the Democrats for civil rights passage when it was Repubs that pushed it over the goal line.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

The Democrats in Florida are just for show, so that Florida can pretend it has a two-party system. The GOP solidly controls both houses. The only time Dems are mentioned is when the media wants a contrasting opinion.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The thing is about self defense laws is that if the prosecutor brings the person to trial, the burden of proof is on the defendant to show his action met the qualifications for their to be self defense(At least in Pennsylvania, I am assuming this is the case in most states as well). Now, this means you have to be able to prove that the assailant was posing an immediate danger of bodily harm or death, but the issue with that is that it could be too late by the time you would be able to prove such a thing. But with you also needing to prove that escape wasn't an option, that could be an additional thing that could be hard to prove that escape was impossible, even if in fact escape was not a reasonable option. There could also be cases where potential victims have some chance to escape, but the sucsess of the escape would be uncertatain, and the consequences of failing would be death.

I don't think the law should focus the responsibility on the person defending himself. If a person faces a threat of death or grave bodily harm, he should be able to defens himslef against it.
          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Shi, it comes down to being able to convict. In what jurisdiction in the US is the entire jury going to accept the judge's instructions on this matter? The jury members are more likely to be planning where they are going to put their own shotgun should something like this happens to them.

Prosecuting something like that is a waste of taxpayer money in the good ole US of A.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Eh, I could have had my consealed weapons permit here in Oregon years ago. I took the gun class and the the teacher survived so I passed. Now I just have to pony up the $10 ,when I get around to it, for the piece of paper and I can have a gun on me which I can use for self defense. You have to have a clean record and you can't take it out of state.

The 'old west' has been alive in Oregon for years and there are very few such 'gun battles in the streets', particularly since the criminals know that they are not the only ones armed.

Go Jeb go!
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
              X