No announcement yet.

Help with CD drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still no progress. Hopefully though my brother will turn up with my laptop and I can move everything onto that.

Just to make sure my desktop isn't completely impotent - can anybody suggest a safe "exit strategy" for ripping out a CD Drive and installing a new one? Beyond the physical twiddling inside the case, what do I want to do for the software?
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Open case, remove old drive, put in new drive, close case.

Should take about 5 minutes, 10 minutes tops. It's just a snap-in replacement. You don't need to change the software (if you refer to a driver).
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

My 5-year old laptop also has a problem with its CD player. Just recently, when I turn it on, my laptopt does not detect the CD player. That is, if I try to play a game in the CD player, it cannot find it. If I click onto "my computer" my CD-drive does not appear. This happens, I dunno, mayby 4 out of every 5 times I turn it on.

And if I can get it to play, it often freezes up for short periods of time.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Can you take out the CD player and put it back in?
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

ps

WHo's gonna win the mayor's race? I think Hahn is going to lose to Villagrosa.
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
              My 5-year old laptop also has a problem with its CD player. Just recently, when I turn it on, my laptopt does not detect the CD player. That is, if I try to play a game in the CD player, it cannot find it. If I click onto "my computer" my CD-drive does not appear. This happens, I dunno, mayby 4 out of every 5 times I turn it on.

And if I can get it to play, it often freezes up for short periods of time.

Any suggestions?
              Try flashing your BIOS, and update all relevant software (driver etc.).
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

bump, I'm having the same (or similar) problem.

I don't have time to deal with it now. and now it's cooperating and staying closed now. weird.

Comment

Does your computer have any hardware diagnostic software? It may at least help you identify the probelm.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I've had similiar problems with tray rolling out after few seconds + unable to read cd's. After lots of swearing, checking SW etc, I found out my problem was dust. A few blows with Air Duster solved my problems - just don't get the nozzle too close - you don't want water to condense on the electronic/optical parts
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

We pros use compress air to blow away dust

Comment

Re: Help with CD drive

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
                        Now it's not closing.

It's not closing because you're using it as a coaster -- take your soda bottle out of the CD drive tray.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

www.apple.com
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                            We pros use compress air to blow away dust
                            Such as this ?
                            Attached Files
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Never seen it

Comment

Working...
                              X