Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americans uninspired by UK poll (BBC)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politi...ge/4487253.stm

American coverage of the British campaign has been less than wall to wall.

The UK election has been mentioned on most US news outlets but even though Tony Blair is well known in America, there is little in the way of day to day election news from Britain.

Mr Blair has crashed down to earth, according to a reporter for the NBC television network, but the correspondent added that the opposition conservatives were in a ditch.

That is the conclusion being drawn by almost all American coverage of the British election - that Mr Blair will win, but that Britain is no longer enthusiastic about its leader.

'Unimpressed'

The well-connected and left-leaning columnist Joe Klein said Mr Blair was staggering to the finish line, unloved and untrusted, after a volatile campaign.
    The Washington Post talks of Iraq as an issue which has dogged Mr Blair from the start of the campaign.

"The divisive war has taken chunks from Blair's popularity." the paper says.

"Accused of deliberately hyping the threat posed by Saddam Hussein to justify the invasion, Blair's credibility and trust ratings plummeted."

But most American commentators have been unimpressed by the alternatives to Mr Blair.

Contrast in coverage

The Los Angeles Times has written of a ramshackle Conservative Party opposition that seldom goes through a week without shooting itself in the political foot.

Most news outlets here have covered the election in some form or other but generally with one piece of reporting intended to suffice for the whole campaign.

Most Americans have heard of Tony Blair and are mildly interested in his fate - but only mildly.

The contrast between British coverage of the American electoral process and American coverage of the British is marked and reflects the fact that Britons care about America more than Americans care about Britain.

One aspect of the British process which is commented on regularly and positively though is the short length of the campaign.

The Leader of the Free World is chosen after a battle that lasts the best part of two years. His British sidekick is picked after just a month.

That fact, if no other, impresses American observers.

I wonder if there'll be more interest from the US for the next French presidential election?

Actually, if Chirac runs as well as his right-wing rival, I expect the American coverage to be much higher than usual
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I'm paying attention to this, It will be interesting to see what the Tories can win. Also I watch the House of commons whenever its on C-SPAN, people yelling at each other

Comment

One aspect of the British process which is commented on regularly and positively though is the short length of the campaign.

The Leader of the Free World is chosen after a battle that lasts the best part of two years. His British sidekick is picked after just a month.

That fact, if no other, impresses American observers.
        Can someone explain this? Specifically the short election campaign part.
        There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Britain has elections?!

The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

The Prime Minister goes to the Queen, asks her to dissolve Parliament. She consents and all the MP's go back to their constinuencies to campaign. Six weeks later, everyone votes, the re-elected or newly elected MP's meet and form a new Parliament and the majority party forms a Government.

It's short cause A) the potential Prime Minsters are already known (ie, party leaders) and B) the entire executive-legislative branch of government ceases to exist. We really can't drag that situation out over two years.
            Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
            -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
              Britain has elections?!

No, the Queen appoints the Prime Minister. Only white males who own property are eligible to vote for members of the House of Commons.

Comment

Originally posted by Qilue
                Can someone explain this? Specifically the short election campaign part.
                A British Parliament lasts for a maximum of 5 years, but elections can be called at any time before that.

It is very unusual for a government to go the full 5-year term and usually an election is called after around 4 years - governments who go a full term are usually seen as being unwilling to put themselves to the test of the electorate and usually lose.
                When the election is called there is a period of 6 weeks of campaigning until the election itself.

Obviously this leads to a more 'compressed' campaign - however electioneering can leak outside of the 6 week period if it is widely suspected that an election will be called soon (as is usually the case).
                19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

Do ya'll happen to have oil? Are you longing for democracy? Has the Royal Family finally gotten on your last nerve?

Is it time for a regime change?
                  The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Not quite what I was asking. For the record, here in Australia, our system of government is almost identical to Britian, so there wasn't really a need to explain that part.

I meant, why does a short election campaign impress american voters as opposed to their ~2 year version?
                    There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                      Do ya'll happen to have oil? Are you longing for democracy? Has the Royal Family finally gotten on your last nerve?

Is it time for a regime change?
                      This sounds like an advert for a drug to help cure depression.

Comment

Ha! We only needed 3 weeks. And we even had 11 parties to choose from, or was it 10.

An election campaign should be like a toddlers shirt, short and dirty.

Comment

Hah, no wonder they're not happy with Blair. The British political system suckz ballz. Either you choose conservative mothballs, or that slimeball Blair. So much for democracy
                          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                          "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Trajanus
                            Hah, no wonder they're not happy with Blair. The British political system suckz ballz. Either you choose conservative mothballs, or that slimeball Blair. So much for democracy
                            The American people had a similar uninspiring choice in our last election
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Democracy sucks anyway. It assumes that the majority of the population aren't stupid.
                              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
                              X