Almost captured Zarqawi.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost captured Zarqawi.

MSNBC is reporting that US Special Forces almost captured Al Qaeda's front man in the Iraqi city of Ramadi two month ago. Zarqawi escaped by jumping from a moving vehicle but his driver was captured as were a number of important intel sources such as Zarqawis personal laptop. On the laptop the US found photographs of members of the insurgency, phone numbers of people Zarqawi kept in contact with, and other valuable intel.

Its to bad they didn't catch this guy because it would have been a big psychological victory to catch Al Qaeda's #3 man and the head of their Iraq department.

BAGHDAD, Iraq - American special forces were tracking Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the head of Al-Qaida in Iraq, near the town of Ramadi two months ago, but the Jordanian-born terrorist leader escaped by jumping out of a moving vehicle, a senior U.S. military source tells NBC News.

Al-Zarqawi did, however, leave behind several key pieces of intelligence, the source said, the most important of which was his laptop computer.

Photos of suspected insurgents released by the military last month were taken from the "My Pictures" folder of that laptop, the source said. It was also full of telephone numbers.

Also left behind in the car was a bag with about $100,000 in euro currency. Another bag contained mini, plugin harddrives, the source said, and evidently al-Zarqawi was using these to distribute information to his network in Iraq.

Iraqi officials had earlier revealed that al-Zarqawi's driver had been taken into custody near Ramadi in a Feb. 20 operation and voiced optimism that coalition forces were close to capturing him.

At the Pentagon, other U.S. military officials said special forces have "come close" to capturing al-Zarqawi on several occasions over the past several months and have gathered intelligence, primarily from al-Zarqawi associates caught in the raids.

But even with the setbacks he's suffered, al-Zarqawi is still able to carry out strikes like the recent sophisticated assault on the Abu Ghraib prison, and daily suicide bombings by followers.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

I almost won the lottery last week!!!!

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Bunnies!
      Welcome to the DBTSverse!
      God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
      'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

One of these days, our boys will catch him.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

if they 're not too busy fighting in the next country your administration chooses to send them...
          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Even if they didn't catch him they still got valuable leads which likely were acted on over the last two months.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Too bad, but the info probably hurt their cause greatly. It hardly matters if you miss the leader, if you get all the leader's contacts.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

What che said.

Comment

No doubt they used that info to kill terrorists and save the innocent from more bombings.
                  Long time member @ Apolyton
                  Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Which of these real life scenarios is not like the others?

Student to Ms. Teacher: I almost finished my assignment...
                    Ms teacher to Student: Almost doesn't count. You get an "F."

Employee to Mr. Boss: I almost made it on time for work...
                    Mr. Boss to Employee: Almost doesn't count. You're fired.

Driver to Police Officer: I almost drove the speedlimit...
                    Police Officer to Driver: Almost doesn't count. I'm giving you a ticket.

Tax Dodger to Mr. Taxman: I almost paid my taxes...
                    Mr. Taxman to Tax Dodger: Almost doesn't count. You can pay a fine or go to jail.

"A senior US military official Who-Never-Has-A-Name" to the USAmerican people: We almost caught the wanted terrorist Osama bin Laden Abu Musab al-Zarqawi...
                    USAmerican people to "A senior US military official Who-Never-Has-A-Name": A++ good!! We'll get him next time USA USA USA!!!1!!!1!!
                    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Sounds like a movie... jumping out of moving vehicles!

But we got some good stuff it seems!
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                        Which of these real life scenarios is not like the others?

Student to Ms. Teacher: I almost finished my assignment...
                        Ms teacher to Student: Almost doesn't count. You get an "F."

Employee to Mr. Boss: I almost made it on time for work...
                        Mr. Boss to Employee: Almost doesn't count. You're fired.

Driver to Police Officer: I almost drove the speedlimit...
                        Police Officer to Driver: Almost doesn't count. I'm giving you a ticket.

Tax Dodger to Mr. Taxman: I almost paid my taxes...
                        Mr. Taxman to Tax Dodger: Almost doesn't count. You can pay a fine or go to jail.

"A senior US military official Who-Never-Has-A-Name" to the USAmerican people: We almost caught the wanted terrorist Osama bin Laden Abu Musab al-Zarqawi...
                        USAmerican people to "A senior US military official Who-Never-Has-A-Name": A++ good!! We'll get him next time USA USA USA!!!1!!!1!!
                        Try, "we almost caught AQ's 3rd-ranked man, but we *only* got a complete list of his contacts and whatever other info was on his laptop.

Comment

Yeah, they seem to have gotten a lot of laptops since 9-11 and yet terrorist attacks have tripled since then...
                          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Zarqawi's place would be taken by someone else anyway. Unless you can desotry their support it won't mean anything
                            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

If it wasn't for Logan, he would have been captured

Comment

Working...
                              X