Is the ACLU good for America?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the ACLU good for America?

Just watched what's his nime, the Irish guy, on FOX. He was interviewing the mayor of Miami who was trying to get a law through which would make convicted sex offenders stay 500 feet from the beach. Apparently the ACLU will fight it...

Wtf is wrong with such a law? Keep the perverts away from their prey, protect the people, children, etc? Wtf is wrong with the ACLU?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Yes, unquestionably yes.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

He was interviewing the mayor of Miami who was trying to get a law through which would make convicted sex offenders stay 500 feet from the beach. Apparently the ACLU will fight it...

Why in the Hell do sex offenders who have served their time get restricted from going on to the BEACH! That's ridiculous!

Rapists are not restricted from going on the beach. Those who have engaged in aggravated assault are not restricted from the beach. This law is utterly silly.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

You want sex offenders on the beach with your kids? (If you had em)

Comment

Rapists aren't sex offenders?

Comment

If they served their time, they should have equal access to the beach. Yes.

What, are we next going to say that sex offenders who have served their time get only one part of the state they can live and stay in?

Under this law, a 25 year old that sleeps with a 17 year old can never go on the beach, ever.

I'm guessing people can't never 'do their time' in your world. Once a criminal, always a criminal, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
              Rapists aren't sex offenders?
              I assume they are passing this law for use for child sex offenders. I seriously doubt that they will be enforcing this against a rapist.

In fact, looking it up, the law was proposed because of sex offenses against children.

Comment

"Under this law, a 25 year old that sleeps with a 17 year old can never go on the beach, ever."

Then they should change the definition.

"I'm guessing people can't never 'do their time' in your world. Once a criminal, always a criminal, right?"

Once a child molester or rapist, no more beach. Too tough? Too bad!

Comment

And actually, Lancer, it seems you are wrong on the effects on the law.

he city of Miami Beach is considering approving a law that would make it a misdemeanor for convicted sex offenders or sexual predators to live within 2,500 feet of places where there are a lot of children, such as elementary schools.

"It's important within a city so densely populated and small like this to get these ticking time bombs out of the city," Miami Beach Mayor David Bermer said.

It seems the whole purpose to get sex offenders (and it seems it is child sex offenders here) to get out of the city entirely!!

Comment

"In fact, looking it up, the law was proposed because of sex offenses against children."

Then it should be extended to rapists. Certainly there are plenty of women that are as helpless as a child.

Comment

Then they should change the definition.

It's called statutory rape, Lancer.

Once a child molester or rapist, no more beach. Too tough? Too bad!

Too unconstitutional? Too bad!

When the purpose is keeping any child sex offender out of the town, it isn't going to survive Constitutional muster. You are violating their right to live in the city they wish.

Comment

What, are we next going to say that sex offenders who have served their time get only one part of the state they can live and stay in?
                        The north coast of Alaska has oil and plenty of space for their one part.

Comment

"It seems the whole purpose to get sex offenders (and it seems it is child sex offenders here) to get out of the city entirely!!"

2500 feet isn't out of the city...

These guys are monsters who shouldn't be breathing imo. Keeping them 2500 feet from elementary schools doesn't seem too harsh to me.

Comment

"In fact, looking it up, the law was proposed because of sex offenses against children."

Then it should be extended to rapists. Certainly there are plenty of women that are as helpless as a child.
                            Hey, why don't we extend it to drunk drivers on the roads! We are all helpless against the drunk drivers. I suggest passing a law prohibiting them from coming 50 feet of a roadway.

Comment

"It seems the whole purpose to get sex offenders (and it seems it is child sex offenders here) to get out of the city entirely!!"

2500 feet isn't out of the city...

These guys are monsters who shouldn't be breathing imo. Keeping them 2500 feet from elementary schools doesn't seem too harsh to me.
                              From the article:

"It's important within a city so densely populated and small like this to get these ticking time bombs out of the city," Miami Beach Mayor David Bermer said.

It seems 2500 feet from an area with children is intended to get them out of the city.

Frankly, I think the religious right are monsters who shouldn't be breathing. That doesn't mean I can keep them 2500 feet from me... or, better yet, an abortion clinic.

Comment

Working...
                              X