Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn dirty Swedes....

...embrace me as one of your own!

I'm thinking of doing a beginner's Swedish course next year (in addition to the ****load of biochemistry courses) as a break from the, um, aforementioned **** load of biochemistry courses.

Ah swedish....like an angel with a head cold sighing.
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

Couldn't you take up something a little more 'relaxing' to take your mind off the sh*tloads of biochemistry?
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

[threadjack]

Starchild, what is the biochemistry like? I've been reading about it, and it seems fun, but how is it different from a straight chemistry course?

[/threadjack]
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Maybe it involves a lot of "swedish" biology specimens ....
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
          [threadjack]

Starchild, what is the biochemistry like? I've been reading about it, and it seems fun, but how is it different from a straight chemistry course?

[/threadjack]
          There's a far bigger focus on the biological aspects of chemistry and the chemical processes necessary for biological life.

The impression I've gotten here, at least, is that the biology courses touch on the chemical side of some stuff and the chemistry courses touch on the biological side of other stuff, but my biochemistry course focuses on that other stuff and takes it into much much more detail. So while I'm losing out on general all-round-i-ness I'm gaining in deeper understanding of where the two meet.
          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

If you want to learn to speak Swedish properly, like an angel, start here
            The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

I'd slå till den.
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

You can do it, Starchild! Only you can save us now.
                Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

ohh.. svenska... .. good luck, maybe you learn how to say good morning and what time is it in swedish, because by nature you are not determined enough! Or are you? PS. since I'm a foreigner and have learned swedish, you shouldn't learn swedish. You should learn finnish, to keep the balance .... then again you don't believe in balance, ,do you, you heretic you..
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

It's all a moot point now anyway as I found out the microbiology course does a module in prion diseases so I switched out of Swedish as fast as I could.

Prions are so cool.
                    -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Kyckling! Coo coo coo!
                      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

There's a far bigger focus on the biological aspects of chemistry and the chemical processes necessary for biological life.

The impression I've gotten here, at least, is that the biology courses touch on the chemical side of some stuff and the chemistry courses touch on the biological side of other stuff, but my biochemistry course focuses on that other stuff and takes it into much much more detail. So while I'm losing out on general all-round-i-ness I'm gaining in deeper understanding of where the two meet.

thanks for the info I have to apply to uni in september, so every little bit of info that helps me uderstand is useful.
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

don't do it. Scientists suffer.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Aye, we do. My English Lit friends have seven hours of lectures/seminars a week and have to write essays. I had double the number of lectures, plus 5-7 hours spent in a lab each week, plus two sets of seminars (one for bio, one for chem), plus a freeeking maths unit so we can all add up the pretty numbers, in addition to the essays, the lab reports, and the reading during our spare time.

That said, I love this course.
                            -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Why is biology so popular?

Comment

Working...
                              X