Mass murderer becomes parliamentarist in India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass murderer becomes parliamentarist in India

Phoolan Devi (20+) Known as India's infamous Bandit Queen, Phoolan Devi, 36, is accused of massacring 20 upper-caste men in 1981 in the village of Behmai in northern Uttar Pradesh state. Now a lawmaker, Phoolan had previously been held prisoner and raped by the citizens of Behmai.

Indian police was ordered to arrest Phoolan before February 4, 1997, on a petition filed by Raja Ram, a resident of Behmai village, who claimed that the parole granted to Devi had ended in December. The ruling came seven weeks after the Supreme Court rejected Devi's pleas to throw out 54 charges of murder, robbery, extortion and kidnapping still pending against her.

Devi won a seat in the federal Parliament in 1996 -- after serving 11 years in prison -- by championing the cause of low-caste Hindus. She portrayed her criminal career as part of a struggle between low-caste Hindus like herself and the upper castes in one of India's most backward regions.
    serial killer, serial killers, serial homicide, unsolved murders, serial murder, spree killing, murder, mayhem, lust killer, armageddon, death penalty, suicide, morgue, electric chair, necrophilia, satanism, cannibalism, cannibals, lethal injection, mutilation, internet crime archives, FBI, abnormal psychology, madness, lustmord, dismemberment, execution, creepy people, criminology, psychological profile, sex crime, poison, mutilation, history, black widows, Herb Baumeister, Kenneth Bianchi, William Bonin, Boston Strangler, Angelo Buono, Jeffrey Dahmer, Albert DeSalvo, Martha Beck, Raymond Fernandez, Albert Fish, Joseph Franklin, Caril Ann Fugate, Belle Gunness, Robert Hansen, Hillside Strangler, Randy Kraft, Thomas Quick, Night Stalker, Richard Ramirez, Joel Rifkin, Arthur Shawcross, Charles Sobhraj, Lucian Staniak, William Suff, Peter Sutcliffe, Jack Unterweger, Rosemary and Fred West, Randy Woodfield, Yorkshire Ripper, donato bilancia, riviera serial killer.

It was by the way of a thread at Civfanatics forums that I've found this nice story.
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

umm, sometimes the only response is revolution

at other times, democratic means can provide a valid response

when things change so that democratic responses become valid, you will have situations like this

it is similiar to Mandela becoming president of South Africa (but not exactly the same)

I don't see a problem with this...

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The "upper-caste" are not people, calling her a murderer is a stretch.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

She looks like a common thief who murdered and robbed then tried to justify it by saying it was class warfare.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

India is the home country of Ghandi, she should have known better than pull the violent-revolution-as-necessity card to frame her actions.
          "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Criminal conduct is criminal conduct. Sounds like there was plenty of it on both sides. Two wrongs don't make a right, jail the lot of them. If not then justice has no meaning over there.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Justice is good in moderation, as it is addictive and leads to cycles of revenge. In situations like this, it's fine to let the law bend and give peace a chance.
              Visit First Cultural Industries
              There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
              Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I'm flabbergasted that people are playing this down as its no big deal or its ok... jeeez... you people need to get your heads examined.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I agree with Imran.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

The only thing I see wrong is that she only spent 11 years in prison for committing multiple murders. Wtf is that all about?

Otherwise, I suppose if someone has done their time, paid their debt, etc., I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to hold an office.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm reading things wrong...what did she spend the prison time for?
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Okay, I got a detailed account here:

This woman died years ago. Why the hell are you bringing this up now as if it is news?
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I feel cheated and betrayed
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                          Justice is good in moderation, as it is addictive and leads to cycles of revenge. In situations like this, it's fine to let the law bend and give peace a chance.
                          There wasn't a war. Instead you had common bandits who robbed and murdered people. Latter on she claimed it was all class warfare in order to help the oppressed masses.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

There wasn't a war. Instead you had common bandits who robbed and murdered people.
                            I'm having a really hard time figuring out which side you are refering to when you say this.
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I sure you wouldn't if you just used your noggin.

Comment

Working...
                              X