Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should United Workers Strike the Company Out of Existence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should United Workers Strike the Company Out of Existence?

United cleared to dump its pension plans

April 23, 2005

BY MARY WISNIEWSKI Business Reporter
    Advertisement

In a big win for United Airlines and a huge setback for its labor unions, Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. reached a settlement with the bankrupt carrier to terminate the company's employee pension plans.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

It's f**king disgusting. The welfare of it's employees should be taken care of separate from corporate interests...I mean, this is people's future on the line here!
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Don't you guys have a publicly paid retirement system that gives a decent standard of living?
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
        Don't you guys have a publicly paid retirement system that gives a minimal standard of living?
        I corrected your statement for you.
        "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
          It's f**king disgusting. The welfare of it's employees should be taken care of separate from corporate interests...I mean, this is people's future on the line here!
          Damn straight it's people's future.

Corporate interests like paying those creditors (and indirectly, their employees) whose products and services kept United flying (and it's employees employed) for years? So United's employees should **** the employees of it's creditors?

Maybe if United's employees had allowed the labor costs imposed by their unions to be competitive with other carriers, they would have been able to keep operating and paying their bills in the first place.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
            Maybe if United's employees had allowed the labor costs imposed by their unions to be competitive with other carriers, they would have been able to keep operating and paying their bills.
            That's not what killed the airline. United was murdered by management, who spun off every profitable part of the airline. the parent corp of UAL is still profitable. The unions were stupid and allowed themselves to have majority ownership in UAL without having control of the board. They were robbed with eyes wide open.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
              Yes, those poor pilots, their 5-figure salaries will no longer be able to keep them afloat!

Comment

Not every employee is a pilot.

Comment

They just stuck the US taxpayer with a bill for their excesses. We should be hanging them all high in the public square.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Trip

Yes, those poor pilots, their 5-figure salaries will no longer be able to keep them afloat!
                    Dudemanjack has it right, not all employees are pilots...also it is dishonest to renege on something they promised contractually...
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

All of the unions have been squeezing the company dry, be it pilots, flight attendants, mechanics, etc. They have directly contributed to the plight of the entire company in its most dire day. What about the other employees not in a union? If the entire company folds what happens to them?

Comment

yes

They don't deserve to operate.

In other news Southwest airlines continues to pull good profits.

It's called good management- and United doesn't have it.

Comment

Yeah.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

I think you meant 6 figures. Even I make 5 figures.

Comment

All of the unions have been squeezing the company dry, be it pilots, flight attendants, mechanics, etc.
                              Yeah, the flight attendents have it so ****ing good that they have to have roommates to afford their aparemtns in the cheap section of town, and the people who work at the counters are just rolling in dough. Stop talkin' out your ass. It was management that bled UAL dry.

Comment

Working...
                              X