Egg Matza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egg Matza

My father has accidentally bought an "egg matza" which is a matza with eggs and some grape juice (?!). It is kosher for pesah, but apparently does not fulfill the requirement of eating Matza except for a few sephardic communities which for ages had eating an enriched Matza. Ashkenaz jews have to eat the regular nasty Matza.

Question is - why is it the sephardic jews always have tastier food? (this matza is much better tasting and doesn't break into crumbs as easily)

And how did this thing come to light? When did this tradition start and where?

Re: Egg Matza

Question is - why is it the sephardic jews always have tastier food? (this matza is much better tasting and doesn't break into crumbs as easily)
    Different hallachaic custums - one that started in the Aschenazi community, but not the sphardic. The explanation I remember hearing is that many of the food items in question (corn, beans, etc) aren't eaten very often by sphardim, so they didn't consider them chamatz - though that's probably wrong.
    "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Working...
    X