Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever had a booger and none of your 'friends' bothered telling you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever had a booger and none of your 'friends' bothered telling you?

Untitled
    A Story by El

My day had gone perfectly until I got home. I rushed to the bathroom, having held my piss for what seemed to be an eternity, only to be shocked by my own reflection. A grotesque booger hung idly from the tip of the left nostril of my nose. And then, the thought of none of my employees bothering to inform me of this repairable blemish angered me. People are diplomatic to a fault.

That day, I went to work and received nothing but compliments. My receptionist, a full-figured black woman with an antiquated Jerry Curl, sat at the front desk of the office manning the phones. She spent most of her time on personal calls, but I never worked up the courage to reprimand or fire her. She was overly coquettish and hypocritically religious.

“Morning,” I said, greeting her as I walked in the door.

She finished up her call and immediately began her daily routine of kissing my ass. “Why, good morning, sir! Looking spectacular today, as usual!”

There’s something about compliments, no matter how superficial and banal they may be, that manages to grab our attention. By the rules of etiquette, I was obligated to reciprocate her kind words with a vain remark of my own, and so I did.

“That’s a nice shirt you have on.”

She blushed. “Really?” (No.) “You think so?” (Yeah right!)

“Sure,” I told her.

And this was my typical workday: asskissers kissing ass with their empty compliments and trivial small talk.

Right then, my intern entered the office. We had a new intern every three months or so. In the past, they had been great. But this guy was really a dick. He was chronically late and had to be the most opportunistic aspiring politician I ever met. Thought interning for a US Senator would land his foot right in the door, probably. Poor guy. In his entire stay, he never even got to meet the Senator. As Chief of Staff, I was his boss.

“Good morning, sir! Great morning! Another great day, as usual!”

Overemphasizing the u in usual, a thing my receptionist started, caught on around the office. It was so irritating.

My intern said, “Is that a new haircut ya got there? Looks awesome, sir!”

“Well,” I said, “thank you, young man. I hear you’ve been doing a fine job around here.” (Not really.) “Keep up the good work.” (Wouldn’t count on a good letter of recommendation from me!)

One of my staffers interrupted. The Senator was on the line. I entered my office for the first time that day, answering the phone.

I said, “Good morning, sir! … Yeah… Alright, sir… Okay! Have a great day, sir! Knock ‘em dead on the floor, as usual! … Okay, bye!”

I hung up the phone, disappointed with myself, refusing to acknowledge that I, too, sometimes played the role of a yes-man. In less than one minute, I had outsirred my entire staff.

Looking in the mirror as I picked my nose, my staffers’ compliments filled my head simultaneously. “Nice shirt,” “nice haircut,” “looking spectacular,” “great smile,” “cool shoes,” “neat belt,” and more! All this, and no one dared say what I needed to hear the most... “Nice booger.” I hadn’t been the most forthcoming in airing my grievances with my employees either. It was then that I resolved to never again place sugarcoated diplomacy before tactful honesty.

The next day, I scolded my receptionist and fired my intern. My staffers have considered me an a$shole ever since.
    Last edited by Guest; April 22, 2005, 12:18.

That's nothing. My final project one semester was to create a birdhouse design based on a particular species of bird. It couldn't be a regular mini-house type of birdhouse, it had to be unique and reflect the needs of the "client" and fit harmoniously within its habitat. Fellow students and the instructors saw my design as it developed over the course of three weeks. Then we finally presented our projects to jurors and other students, the college newspaper, and a local news crew that came to do a story on the architecture program...

...and at no point did anyone have the decency to tell me my birdhouse looked like a scrotum until we all (the class) went out to dinner afterwards. The next day my project died a unceremonious and violent death.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

There was this one time on the subway on a humid summer morning that I saw this guy use his hankerchief to wipe his brow. After he did that there was a huge green boogey clinging to his eyebrow for the rest of the trip. I wonder if anyone told him...
      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

you're a senator?

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
          you're a senator?

Comment

He's a writer.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

He can't be a US Senator. State? That's still pretty hardcore.
              "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

I'm embarrassed for all of you.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You need to get some silicone sealant and run it out of your nostril, down your face, onto your shirt...goo some out onto your desk... See if they can ignore THAT!

Btw, make sure you don't seal your nose shut, just in case you do get a cold your head could explode.
                  Long time member @ Apolyton
                  Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Not a Senator. Just a lousy intern. These are all the things I dream of saying to my co-workers, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                      You're a Microsoft fanboy. That's embarassment enough.
                      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

that's twice now I misread the title of this thread as being boner, not booger.

Comment

left nostril of my nose
                          Where do you keep your other nostrils?
                          "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                          "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            Seriously. The protagonist wasn't even a Senator, he was the CoS.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

yeah but then you're gay

Comment

Working...
                              X