No announcement yet.

Is GM going bankrupt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're at war with Iraqi insurgents. Quite a different (and far, far smaller) beast than, say, the Wehrmacht.

Comment

• War is fought vastly differently now versus then, so your example is inapposite.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• The only reason why war is fought "differently" now is that there's no real even match to the US military. Or so we believe, and will believe until proven wrong. Then we'll need the manufacturing capability which you so blithely dismiss.

However, this isn't really the thread to discuss military matters...

Comment

• Yeah, but
          1. War is much, much faster these days. What once would have taken months to travel in the Revolutionary War took weeks to travel in World War II and days to travel now.
          2. It takes much, much longer to manufacture modern military equipment. From start to finish, it must take at least 2 years to actually build a plane. Cut out the paperwork, since it's wartime, and maybe we're talking a year?

So a full-blown war (like, say, Korean War II) would be over before the first new plane could be built.
          All syllogisms have three parts.
          Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
            Have pension liabilities ever been transferred to the PBGC without bankruptcy?
            United transfered their pensions but not until they were in bankruptcy.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• I heard that the PBGC is 9 billion in debt itself.
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• They are an agency of the US Government. So, it doesn't really matter how much debt they have. We, the tax payers will have to make it up somehow.
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• True. But someone is very likely to point this debt out to us taxpayers soon, for political purposes.
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang
                    They are an agency of the US Government. So, it doesn't really matter how much debt they have. We, the tax payers will have to make it up somehow.
                    In theory, yes . But Congress, in their infinite wisdom, decided to make PBGC depend on itself for most of its funding (it takes as much money companies have in the plan and give guarenteed payments based on that.. sometimes though the companies don't have enough for the lower payouts). Unless Congress gives it some funding and drops this idea that PBGC has to be self sustaining, it won't be pretty.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• PBGC also collects an "insurance" premium from all companies whose pension plan is guaranteed by the PBGC.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                      X