No announcement yet.

Texas legislature set to pass law that takes children away from loving parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, after a while, you get used to being hated and discriminated against by large segments of society and authority.

At least I'm in the UK where I'm a second and a half class citizen and not in America where I'd be just a second class citizen.

One day, I hope to be seen as fully human. *wipes single tear from eye*
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Starchild. We all love you, except for the overbearing conservatives, and the other people who quite simply dont.

Comment

I dislike SC 'cos of his phylum allegiance.
        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

It's good to know people care.
          (for various reasons I won't go into, at this point in my life its especially good to know)
          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

I don't hate you . Homophobes should be treated as a third class citizen.
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

You, sir, are a god among men.
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                Jules, if you haven't noticed... I don't think there has been a serious post on this thread since the OP.
                My first post was absolutely serious.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

We should nuke SW Minnesota, might improve the place (as well as get rid of those pesky conservative Germans).

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    Homosexuality isn't illegal in Virginia, big guy.
                    I was going to post that too, but my router went kaput.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi

Now while in some cases, such as Virginia, you'd be making a clear improvement by nuking it, but otherwise you'd be killing a lot of people.
                      Virginia is heaven on earth, except for the infestations of carpetbaggers.
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us
                        So nobody thinks there could be a constitutional problem with this new law?
                        ]

No. Its not your legal right to be a foster parent.
                        err -- In Canada such a law would fall afoul of the Charter. Nobody has a right to be a foster parent but people have rights to not be discriminated against.

What if the application asked your "race"? Would it be ok to exclude a racial group on that grounds alone??
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Discrimination based on race violates Federal law and the Constitution. (based on application of the 14th Amendment, this applies to the states as well

Sexual orientation is not a basis in Federal law for creating a protected class, although it is protected to some degree or another in some states.

With the exception of the Schiavo fiasco, the Feds normally don't stick themselves into family law related matters, as there is no authority under the Constitution to do so. The only way the Feds would take any position with respect to the Texas law is if it discriminatorily targeted foster parents based on being members of a recognized protected class - i.e. race, religion, national or ethnic origin, etc.

The basic remedy under the state's rights framework is if you don't like it, move to another state.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Working...
                          X