• Show
Clear All

• Arnold Shuns Mexico

LINK

U.S. should `close borders' with Mexico, governor says

REMARK ELICITS ANGER FROM STATE DEMOCRATS

By Laura Kurtzman

Mercury News

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said Tuesday the United States should ``close the borders'' with Mexico, in answer to a question about what policies he would recommend on immigration.

``It's a federal issue, and the only thing I can say and add to this is, really, close the borders,'' Schwarzenegger said during a question-and-answer session at a national convention for newspaper publishers in San Francisco. ``Close the borders in California and all across between Mexico and the United States, because I think it is just unfair to have all of those people coming across and to have the borders open the way it is and have this kind of a lax situation. I think we here in California have to still finish the border.''

Margita Thompson, the governor's press secretary, was quick to tell reporters that Schwarzenegger did not really mean what he said at the Newspaper Association of America conference. ``He means secure the borders,'' she said.

However, the governor made a similar remark during the 2003 recall election in an interview with Fox News.

``We have to close the borders, make them tighter,'' he said Tuesday. He then he went on to speak about the need to ``negotiate with them,'' referring apparently to political leaders in Mexico.

Several leading Democrats reacted angrily to the governor's remarks, which come as volunteer Minutemen are patrolling the border in Arizona to intercept illegal immigrants and as Congress prepares to take up new immigration reforms.

``The governor should ratchet down his rhetoric and retreat from this narrow-minded approach to immigration policy,'' Assembly Speaker Fabian Núñez, D-Los Angeles, said in a prepared statement.

``Closing our borders to commerce and culture is an idea that comes from political extremists, not rational policy-makers. Even President Bush rejects the idea of a closed border with Mexico. We need an immigration policy that preserves our productive relationship with Mexico and respects the rule of law.''

Núñez's spokesman, Steve Maviglio, added, ``It sounds like he's hanging around with the Pat Buchanan crowd,'' a reference to the conservative commentator and former presidential candidate who is virulently anti-illegal immigration. ``And I don't hear him wanting to close the border with Canada. It's just `Those people.' ''

Art Torres, chairman of the California Democratic Party, said, ``He's become an Austrian Minuteman now.'' He said Schwarzenegger was taking the low road on immigration to deflect from his troubles with nurses, teachers, firefighters and police officers, in the same way that former Gov. Pete Wilson used the issue to win re-election despite his unpopularity during a recession.

``It's very sad to see that someone with that capacity to lead and to govern is resorting to that,'' Torres said.

Schwarzenegger, whose past is shadowed by questions about whether he worked without a proper visa when he first came to the United States in 1968 and later in 1971, went on to say that he thought several upcoming proposals to reform immigration ought to be given a fair hearing.

Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., are expected to introduce reform legislation soon that combines tougher enforcement with a guest worker program. The law is also expected to include a mechanism that would allow illegal immigrants to earn legal status.

``It is a very important debate,'' Schwarzenegger said to the newspaper group. ``I think that it is necessary that we solve the problems, rather than everyone kind of trying to run the other way, because it's just such a hot issue and such a delicate issue. So I think they have to eventually get together and really solve those problems. But, like I said, it's a national issue. There's not much that we can do here in California.''

At the luncheon with the newspaper group, the governor also made a conciliatory gesture toward Democrats, who spent the weekend trashing him at their convention in Los Angeles.

``The thing that I am most proud of is that I was able to bring the Democrats and the Republicans together, because this is the only way we can accomplish things,'' he said. ``This is why we accomplished so much last year.''

I'm for a giant wall!
    Monkey!!!

There goes any chance for re-election. Still, the man says what's on his mind, don't have to agree, gotta love it.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Immigrants are good if they are legal. Law breakers are not the type of people we should be encouraging to move here though.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

well, thats it. no 2nd term for the guvernator.
        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

we'll see... he gets bashed a lot, but I think a lot of ppl still like him.
          Monkey!!!

Comment

I think most people (including voting minorities such as mexicans and other hispanics) support increased border control.

It's not as much an issue as democrats make it out to be. But republicans are just sissies, and afraid to go against illegal immigration (well that and big business likes it)

Comment

increased border control

Ah-nuld

Ah-nuld leading Kalifornia

True Lies
              B♭3

Comment

"republicans are just sissies, and afraid to go against illegal immigration (well that and big business likes it)"

Oh yeah? Well then democrats are just bits of fluff who like buff latinos cleaning their pools!

Comment

Haha, go Arnold!
                  ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                  ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

I can't read an Arnold quote without hearing him say it in his thickest Austrian accent in my head. Actually, it makes it more fun.
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Mexican immigrants not rooting for soccer team USA

Thus, Mexicans are definetly evil.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

What a moron?!

edit: not Az
                        Last edited by Kidlicious; April 20, 2005, 16:53.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Az
                          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                            I can't read an Arnold quote without hearing him say it in his thickest Austrian accent in my head.
                            Yeah, same here.
                            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

ditto

"There goes any chance for re-election. Still, the man says what's on his mind, don't have to agree, gotta love it."

While I do agree 100% with your astute appraisal, it might hurt him in Cali gov elections but help him RUN FOR PRESIDENT...

Comment

Working...
                              X