Microsoft's New $100 Million ad Campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft's New $100 Million ad Campaign

Sorry: this is retarded. $100 million dollars to advertise a 4 year old piece of software. Why don't they advertise for Win 98 while they're at it?

Why don't they just get off their asses and deliver the new OS?

Telling people how great it is to buy something that they in all likelihood already own is simply daft.

Microsoft 'starts' Windows XP ad blitz
    15-month campaign will cost $100 million, says report; delivery of Longhorn replacement unclear.
    April 18, 2005: 3:14 PM EDT

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. launched a 15-month advertising campaign on Monday to boost sales of the Windows XP operating system, while the world's largest software maker prepares its next version of Windows, code-named Longhorn.

Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft declined to say how much it would spend on the global television, print and online marketing effort, or how the duration of the campaign might reflect the delivery schedule of Longhorn.

Advertising trade report Adweek estimated the cost of the campaign at about $100 million, including production of more than 50 versions of television commercials for 11 countries. Advertising agency McCann Erickson, part of Interpublic Group of Cos. Inc. (down $0.06 to $12.94, Research), created the campaign.

Scott Lennard, director of advertising for Microsoft's consumer marketing group, said that Microsoft wanted people to "rediscover" Windows XP, currently its flagship operating system, which runs on more than nine out of 10 personal computers.

The massive ad campaign comes three years after the debut of Windows XP and urges people to use the programs to pursue any of more than a dozen different interests, including music, science, art and sports. In the main print ads, a window is displayed over a person's heart, with various images connected to the themes flowing out of the window.

Microsoft's renewed advertising effort also comes as Apple Computer Inc. (up $0.16 to $35.51, Research) prepares to ship the latest operating system for its Macintosh PC later this month.

Apple's software, which it calls "Mac OS X Tiger," is being described by the Cupertino, California-based company as a feature-rich operating system that already delivers many of the features promised by Longhorn.

Microsoft is expected to talk about Longhorn in greater detail next week at its annual hardware and engineering conference in Seattle. Microsoft is planning to release a preliminary test, or beta, version of Longhorn this summer.

Shares of Microsoft (up $0.19 to $24.65, Research) rose .9 percent in afternoon trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

Only feebs vote.

LoL

Comment

Anyone who was going to buy it would already have it. Microsoft should have just given me 100 million.

Comment

No. They should have given it to me.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

I could spend it on a copy of Longhorn and a new 30" monitor to play Duke Nukem Forever on it.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

people actually pay for Windows XP?

Comment

The industry expected Microsoft to launch an ad campaign for XP due to expected delays on loghorn, and the launch of Mac OS X Tiger... but 100 million...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!

When I read this in Ad Age, I couldn't believe it. This is just plain silly. It makes you think that loghorn isn't on schedule
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Why would they bother with the Tiger release? Apple never advertises its OS X releases (they thought about it once, but never went through with it).

I hope you get some of the money, Ming.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

While Apple usually doesn't advertise their releases... they do put on a heavy PR blitz to the trade... since it's new, it will be picked up. Microsoft can't do the same, because nobody gives a crap about XP anymore so any "awareness" has to be on a paid basis...

And no... we don't do any work for Microsoft or Apple.... bummer
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I gave no idea about computer advertising. I think all the ads suck now. The only good ones were the Apple ones with Jeff Goldblum in them -- and then only because he's funny.

Shows what I know though -- those "dancing cretin" ipod ads have been really successful.

I wonder why Apple doesn't advertise their OS releases though. A few snippets of CoreImage in action would be a pretty cool ad.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

A better campaign imo would be to give away a $100Million worth of XP copies.

This sure is wasted money.
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

What do you think this is? Linux?
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

I'm suing M$, Longhorn is my name, and for good reason too
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I'm suing M$, Longhorn is my name, and for good reason too

Girls don't like the way you smell?
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

I don't think anyone goes out and buys XP. They just get it preinstalled on every new computer that they buy. Linux will never be anything more then nitch player since it has to many competing standards while MAC OS only sells to an ever shrinking number of MAC devotees.

It's a waste of money to advertise but I guess MS has money to burn.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X