US Housing starts drop 17.6%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently, ground breaking.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by pchang
      I figured you'd get more sanguine about the economy when you graduated and got a job. Getting a job appears to be Che's benchmark (and it's one that makes a lot of sense).
      I still have another year to go. I'll start looking in about 9 months.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler View Post
        Traditionally, houses have sold for 100 times the monthly rental. Prices in L.A. are up to about 400 times the monthly rental.

One real estate expert I talked to says that bubbles in residential real estate markets don't act like normal bubbles. When the dot.com bubble burst, the market tanked as people tried to dump their stock. By with RE, especially residences, people tend to hold on to their homes and ride the bubbles down, so any decrease in price tends to be both slower and smaller.
        I wonder if that expert also said they last longer...
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
          What does this mean?
          It's nothing. Just ignore it.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

My favorite quote is DanS saying that there is merit to cool weather being a cause of reduced housing starts.
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

When I saw Spiffor and Odin as posters I knew something was wrong
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

If only we could go back and kill every macroeconomist who isn't named scott sumner
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                  If only we could go back and kill every macroeconomist who isn't named scott sumner
                  If that includes people that borrowed money to people that under no circustances was able to repay, I agree.
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Way to miss the point, you ****ing ****.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                      Way to miss the point, you ****ing ****.
                      Well, I guess that you have a nicer way to explain how some idiots managed tototally **** up the economy

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Again, way to miss the point, you ****ing ****.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Impressive necromancy, MRT.

Comment

The best part is that KH still thinks that his point is the only thing that matters.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

It is, ****. Anybody who thinks that a slowdown in housing in 2008 (or in this case 2005!) causes a ****ty economy in 2011 is a ****ing moron of kiddy proportions
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                                My favorite quote is DanS saying that there is merit to cool weather being a cause of reduced housing starts.
                                It's a one-month figure. Who knows what happened that month.
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                                X