American Football: ESPN to take MNF, NBC to get back in with SNFl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Football: ESPN to take MNF, NBC to get back in with SNFl

Just heard this on Pardon the Interruption.

Apparently, starting in 2006, Monday Night Football is moving from ABC to ESPN. So for the first time in like 35 years, MNF moves OFF Primetime Network TV to ESPN. Sunday Night Football, OTOH, moves from EPSN to NBC, who hasn't had football since the early 90s.

So it's a double switch of sorts. Sunday Night Football becomes the network primetime football, while Monday Night Football, an institution, moves to cable.

BIG NEWS involving football and American TV.

Frankly, I think ABC is making a biiiiig mistake. Anything they put there will not get close to MNF numbers, and they are allowing NBC to get back in the game and get the big numbers on football.
    Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; April 18, 2005, 17:53.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Here is a link:

Oh, and NBC has only been out for 6 years, apparently.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

But are they going to have football every Sunday night?
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Yes... like for the last few years.

Comment

oh, right. You got me there.

Comment

Imran... MNF was taking a financial bath... it was one of the worst contracts ever signed. Because of the scheduling, they kept getting dogs, and had to highly discount the ad space just to sell it.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yes, I understand that, but couldn't ABC just sign a new contract (since it was coming up in 2006) that would be better for them?

Comment

They decided to let NBC take an even worse bath. While Sunday night is one of the biggest nights for people viewing television... the competition will be even stiffer. ESPN will probably get just under the types of ratings that MNF got... and paid a WHOLE lot less for them.

ABC could have made more money on Monday nights running average primetime crap... and now they will.

Now ABC/ESPN gets the best of both worlds... no longer saddled with a money losing Monday night effort... ESPN still in the picture with a National game... and NBC stuck overpaying and having to face more competition on Sunday night.

I'm sure they are thrilled.
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I think less people watch Sunday Night football though, because two games are enough for one day.

Comment

ESPN will probably get just under the types of ratings that MNF got

I think it'll be closer to half. I was surprised to find out how many TV watching people actually don't have cable, even basic cable.

I think there is a reason that NBC pays so much or FOX pays so much. They aren't all stupid.

Comment

Re: American Football: ESPN to take MNF, NBC to get back in with SNFl

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      Just heard this on Pardon the Interruption.

Apparently, starting in 2006, Monday Night Football is moving from ABC to ESPN. So for the first time in like 35 years, MNF moves OFF Primetime Network TV to ESPN. Sunday Night Football, OTOH, moves from EPSN to NBC, who hasn't had football since the early 90s.

So it's a double switch of sorts. Sunday Night Football becomes the network primetime football, while Monday Night Football, an institution, moves to cable.

BIG NEWS involving football and American TV.

Frankly, I think ABC is making a biiiiig mistake. Anything they put there will not get close to MNF numbers, and they are allowing NBC to get back in the game and get the big numbers on football.
                      I don't get that at all. ABC and ESPN are owned by the same company. Putting MNF on ESPN guarantees a smaller audience.

Comment

Just read Mings post. It's a bit clearer now...

Comment

According to ESPN.com, they are subscribed to in 89 million households.

The only thing that hurts them is the Three Stooges who announce the game.

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

XFL
                            "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Who will benefit from this? Answer: World Wrestling Entertainment, whose move back of Monday Night RAW to USA this coming fall, along with Monday Night Football's departure from the networks, will lead to at least a .5 gain in the ratings.
                              "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                              ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                              "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Working...
                              X