What's New In The Palistinian-Israeli Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's New In The Palistinian-Israeli Situation

I have been in the process of moving 60 miles to a new town so I havent been really up on any news. Plus I've been spending most of my time on the road for both business and pleasure. I saw something where Israel was offering new homes for those evacuated from the settlements and I haven't heard of any major sucide attack so is it just a lull or is the PA doing more to curb the violence or what. Inform me please...
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

In two words: nothing's happened.
    There'll be a pullout, or there won't be; either way nothing will change (perhaps Europe will ease off pressure on Israel for this action, but it'll be temporary methinks). The chances of civil war are slim to none--no one's that idiotic.
    The Palestinians aren't doing anything against terrorism [as usual].
    Some commentators have apparently gone insane [or simply were never reliable in the first place]. Suddenly they think Abbas is a saint and Sharon the Messiah come again due to his 'disengagement plan'. Fundamentally there is no proof whatsover for either of these contentions. It's as if the media is speaking to itself and hoping that if it repeats itself enough Abbas and Sharon will become Mandela and DeClerk (or whatever his name is).
    "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

I can only pay attention to one hemisphere at a time.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
        I can only pay attention to one hemisphere at a time.
        That's weird, you're only paying attention to the western hemisphere while you are in Japan

Comment

No, I meant the Southern hemisphere.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Zevico
            In two words: nothing's happened.
            There'll be a pullout, or there won't be; either way nothing will change (perhaps Europe will ease off pressure on Israel for this action, but it'll be temporary methinks). The chances of civil war are slim to none--no one's that idiotic.
            there'll be a pullout.

it will reduce terrorism from the strip, and will give the palestinains to prove themselves in nation building - which in the eyes of Israel and the USA will be a sort of test.

The Palestinians aren't doing anything against terrorism [as usual].

they have been doing small things, and are starting to try and curb the problem of terrorism by agreements and by offering to employ terrorists in their security forces (we know that works well - many terrorists are indeed former employees of said forces).

but no - they are not fulfling the demand of 'fighting' terrorism and dealing with hamas or jihad.

even smaller groups which for the last week began firing mortar shells on israeli fortifications and towns in the Gaza strip were untouched.

there have been rumors spread (and then vehementally denied) that a larger pullout from the west bank is expected after the pullout from gaza is over - and then Israel comlpete the security fence and will disengage from the palestinians completely. Though Israel is expected to leave large blocks of settlements, especially around Jerusalem, to itself.

Comment

while Abbas has not directly challenged the terrorist groups, and has attempted to talk Hamas and the others into refraining from attacks, he HAS taken the steps which must precede any crackdown - he has taken several steps to reform and consolidate the PA's corrupt and ramshackle security services. Evidently some of the things he has done on the ground have gotten the attention of the terrs, as there have been several incidents of violence by Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade and others against PA security, and at least one apparent attempt on Abbas' life.

Meanwhile Jordan and Egypt have moved to restore full diplomatic relations with Israel, and there is talk that several Arab states in the Gulf and North Africa may follow. And on the other side, Sharon has repeatedly outmaneuvered his own right opposition.

Abbas may not be a saint, nor Sharon a miracle worker, but from here it appears that they both continue to make progress, and the prospects for peace are still better than theyve been in a long time.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

it will reduce terrorism from the strip,
                What terrorism from the Gaza Strip?
                "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Eli, Panathinaikos, Macabi again in the semi-finals

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                    Eli, Panathinaikos, Macabi again in the semi-finals
                    If I was Pana, I wouldnt have bothered to even show up.
                    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

They should just give us the win, I agree

Comment

Who else is in the final 4? Panathinaikos, Macambi, TSSKA Moscow and...? Bologna?

Comment

Whats happened:

On the Israeli side:
                          • A push for a referendum vote on the disengagement plan was shot down, meaning the plan will very likely go ahead.
                          • Gaza settlers (or a majority of them) became interested in negotiating a deal for evacuating Gaza
                          • A protest by extreme settlers at the temple mount that would have increased tension ended up being a bust, and only about 50 protesters showed up, with 3000 policemen on hand to control it.
                          • Israel shot three Palestinians under disputed circumstances. Palestinians said they were playing soccer and retreiving their ball. Israel says they were involved in a weapons smuggling attempt and were trying to cross the border into Egypt.
                          • Sharon has extra security protection to prevent the possibility of Jewish extremists from assassinating him.

On the Palestinian side:
                          • There is a "cease-fire" in existant at the moment.
                          • There are reports that the terrorist groups are using the ceasefire to build up their weapons and infrastructure.
                          • About a month and a half ago, there was a suicide bomber, and evidence suggested that the Islamic Jihad offices in Syria were involved.
                          • Abbas was able to put an end to rocket attacks into Israel - by using Palestinian forces to prevent attacks and negotiating with the terrorist groups. However, rocket attacks into Israel started up again.
                          • The aftermath of the three shot Palestinians increased shelling on Israeli settlements, but the terrorists have agreed to maintain the cease-fire.
                          • Some Palestinian gunmen agreed to work for the Palestinian government in a jobs-for-guns program.
                          • Hamas has set up an Anti-Corruption Unit to safeguard Islamic virtues.
                          • Abbas has not done anything to shut down the terrorist groups.
                          • Abbas has increasingly had his authority put into questions by the various terrorist groups. (eg, gunmen firing at his offices, threats to kill palestinian MPs, etc)
                          "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Thanks Edan

So basically some little steps in the right direction but with extreme caution given the nature of the situation which could erupt into major volence given the right set of people doing bad things.
                            Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber
                              Thanks Edan

So basically some little steps in the right direction but with extreme caution given the nature of the situation which could erupt into major volence given the right set of people doing bad things.
                              Overall, IMO, yes - although I think the the major terrorist groups aren't eager to erupt major violence until they've sufficently rebuilt and rearmed, preffering low level violence at the moment. Also, if Abbas doesn't do deal with the terrrorists groups, they'll continue chllenging his power, and he will lose what authority he has.
                              "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Working...
                              X