No announcement yet.

How much do you make a year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahhh. We don't have aid, we have government loans (£3000pa basic, extra £1000pa means tested), and means tested fees (£0-1150pa). The theory is you can live on £4000pa, without paying fees, and without parental support. It's pretty hard though. It goes that every £9 your parents earn, you pay £1 extra in fees, and that this amount should come from parental support.

Obviously some don't get that, I have friends who's parents don't provide anything but earn enough so they get the basic £3000 loan and pay £1150 fees, and have to work to make up the shortfall. Then there are lucky people like me, who have some extra support for having poor parents, but whose parents still give them money.

Most universities reckon you need ~£4500-5000 after fees to live, so if you have poor parents, the government loans come pretty close.
    Smile
    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Spec
      I added up everything, except for the 1 million + per year (cuz frankly, I dont buy it) and got an average annual income of 54 151$ USD, which is not so bad considering all the students that hang-out here.

Spec.
      thanks, I was too lazy to do that

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
        Most universities reckon you need ~£4500-5000 after fees to live, so if you have poor parents, the government loans come pretty close.
        Sadly, the government here seems to think people in their 20's are 'kept' by their parents. Not true in a lot of cases which....well, it's not good.

My student loan gives me c.£100 spare pa after paying my rent. That means an overdraft is essential in order to pay my fees....which gives me a grand total of £100 in my overdraft after all that.

So...£200 to live on for a year. Somehow I have spent more than that somewhere along the line. Wish the government gave out loans according to *my* income rather than that of two people I hardly see who dont see me as financially dependant on them in any way.

Thinking outloud there, sorry. But this thread has reminded me how grossly unfair the student loans system is.
        Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

in the US at least, I think there is a way to say that yuo aren't dependent on your parents financially...

I know oyu can do this buy getting married..

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

bit drastic imho
            Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

Originally posted by Verres
              Thinking outloud there, sorry. But this thread has reminded me how grossly unfair the student loans system is.
              I know Pragmatically, the system works for most students as most students whose parents aren't poor contribute. But as you say, it's still based on the flawed idea of parental income, and so creates major problems for people who don't qualify and who's parents don't contribute.

The idea of parental contribution is great if parents are prepared to pay. But that's not the case often. With the new graduate payment system, I'd love to see them abolish means testing based on parental income.

Aside from giving everyone enough money in loans to pay for their living costs, is there a fair way of doing it? And is that result too costly?
              Smile

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                in the US at least, I think there is a way to say that yuo aren't dependent on your parents financially...

I know oyu can do this buy getting married..
                There is here to, however it usually involves proving you have no contact with them, or have lived apart from them for 3 years.
                Smile

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue

Aside from giving everyone enough money in loans to pay for their living costs, is there a fair way of doing it? And is that result too costly?
                  Yes, its called scraping tuition fees. As for whether thats economically viable...you're the economist, I can't answer that one

Comment

Oh, I was presuming that. Even if tuition fees are scrapped though, there's still the larger problem of living costs. £3000 isn't enough to live on. Loans could be put up for everyone I suppose, to £4k, and remove the means testing by parental income.

It's all easily affordable, the big problem for finances is how to stop the university fund gap.
                    Smile

Comment

• in the US you can take out extra (slightly higher rated) loans..

I did that one year..

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackCat
                        Nope. If I'm not wrong, then most of us ended in this piece of heaven/hellhole because we plays SMAC/X.

Smart people usually get paid well.
                        You may be on to something there.....

D

Comment

• I make about 120 to 170 people / week live longer, healthier, and/or less painful lives. That translates into 6000 to 8500 people / year......................but I'm not even in the top 15% of the poll.
                          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• :d Dr Strangelove!

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                              I make about 120 to 170 people / week live longer, healthier, and/or less painful lives. That translates into 6000 to 8500 people / year......................but I'm not even in the top 15% of the poll.
                              How do you treat 30 people a day? That would imply you only spend about 15 minutes per patient. In many cases, I would think that would be insufficient.
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• pchang, get a clue... what is the profession, where you have a customer for appx 15 minutes, make them feel good about themselves etc. What is the oldest profession?
                                In da butt.
                                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                                X