Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the time for the world to rid itself of nukes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the time for the world to rid itself of nukes?

We have a hard time telling others to get rid of the things when we have so many. Why would the nuke nations want to keep the things now? The US has no more threat of massive first stike from Russia, Russia has no hope of winning an arms race with the US... China has to be able to see the folly of what the US and Sovs did in the cold war building so many nukes that nobody could use. If the great powers got rid of the things and made an agreement to attack anyone developing them, nobody would develope them. So, why don't we just get rid of the damn things?

Hmm. I just remembered India and Pakistan.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

genie is out of the bottle

Comment

Yes and there is little chance of putting the genie back and nobody seems to be trying. It just seems like a better time to try than any I can recall.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

nukes are what made my state great
        Attached Files

Comment

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
            nukes are what made my state great
            I thought it was a complete lack of any sense of morality!?
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi

I thought it was a complete lack of any sense of morality!?
              that too
              Attached Files

Comment

France, Britain, Israel, North Korea, and possibly Syria and Iran are also members of the nuclear club. Argentina was headed in that direction before the Brits attacked their reactor in the Falklands War. Who else? Maybe Brazil and South Africa. And pray never al Qaeda.

We need some as a deterant against our fellow nuke-club members. But reducing them is a good idea. A reduction would reduce the chances of an accidental launch, a nuclear accident or hijacked weapons.

Comment

I'm a little obessed with nukes as you can tell.

This one isn't taken in my home state. But it did deal with one of my previous professions. Some of these navy guys receieved around 3 roentgen dose of radiation.
                  Attached Files

Comment

one last one. Operation Castle. Almost a thing of beauty.

The Operation Castle Fact Sheet states: 21 individuals on the USS Philip (DDE-498) and 16 on the USS Bairoko (CVE-115) sustained small skin lesions resembling burns that were definitely classified as beta burns. For more information:
                    Attached Files

Comment

You should go back to your old Fallout avatars diss.

Comment

Suddenly I feel like singing:

We'll meet again,
                        Don't know where,
                        Don't know when,
                        But we'll meet again
                        Some sunny day.

Comment

a little more about opeation: castle

The Shrimp test device was basically a scaled down version of the Runt device tested in Castle Romeo, but with partially enriched lithium as fuel. Its weight was a comparatively light 23,500 lb, and it was 179.5 in long and 53.9 in wide. The fuel consisted of 37-40% enriched lithium-6 deuteride encased in a natural uranium tamper. 10 Mt of the yield was from fast fission of the tamper. The Shrimp also tested light case design, substituting an aluminium exterior case for the steel used in the Sausage (tested in Ivy Mike). It used a RACER IV fusion boosted primary.

The reason for the unexpectedly high yield was due to the "tritium bonus" provided by the lithium-7 isotope which made up most of the lithium. This isotope was expected to be essentially inert, but in fact it had a substantial reaction cross section with the high energy neutrons produced by tritium-deuterium fusion. When one of these high energy neutrons collided with a lithium-7 atom, it could fragement it into a tritium and a helium atom. Tritium was the most valuable fusion fuel, being both highly reactive and causing extremely energetic fusion, so this extra source of tritium greatly increased the weapon yield.

The Bravo crater in the atoll reef had a diameter of 6510 ft, with a depth of 250 ft. Within one minute the mushroom cloud had reached 50,000 feet (15 km), breaking 100,000 feet (30 km) two minutes later. The cloud top rose and peaked at 130,000 feet (almost 40 km) after only six minutes. Eight minutes after the test the cloud had reached its full dimensions with a diameter of 100 km, a stem 7 km thick, and a cloud bottom rising above 55,000 feet (16.5 km).

The Bravo test created the worst radiological disaster in US history. Due to failure to postpone the test following unfavorable changes in the weather, combined with the unexpectedly high yield and the failure to conduct pre-test evacuations as a precaution, the Marshallese Islanders on Rongerik, Rongelap, Ailinginae, and Utirik atolls were blanketed with the fallout plume. They were evacuated on March 3 but 64 Marshallese received doses of 175 R. In addition, the Japanese fishing vessel Daigo Fukuryu Maru (Fifth Lucky Dragon) was also heavily contaminated, with the 23 crewmen receiving exposures of 300 R (one later died - apparently from complications). The entire Bikini Atoll was contaminated to varying degrees, and many operation Castle personnel were subsequently over-exposed as a result. Personnel in the firing bunker on Nan Island were trapped for a time when external radiation levels reached 250 roentgens/hr an hour after the shot. After this test the exclusion zone around the Castle tests was increased to 570,000 square miles, a circle 850 miles across (for comparison this is equal to about 1% of the entire Earth's land area).
                          sorry for the slight threadjack. go back to your previous discussion

Too many countries have nukes. While I agree we can drastically scale back the number of nukes we have. I can't see getting rid of them completely.
                          Last edited by Dis; April 15, 2005, 02:19.

Comment

you know all those pictures makse me thinks you are having a pissing contest about who can post the biggest nucleur explosion
                            Bunnies!
                            Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                            God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                            'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

I think Russia wins. Didn't they make that bomb that cracked the Earth's crust? I know the Russians made the biggest nuke ever...but I can't remember the name of the bomb. Remember reading about it and saying how the shockwaves from the blast went on for MILES.
                              Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                              Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                              *****Citizen of the Hive****
                              "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Working...
                              X