Pope and communism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pope and communism

Or religion in general and communism. There was a nice expose on TV about Pope's relation with Reagan when Poland was going behind the Iron curtain and when Italy was ready to go communist through democratic means.
    Americans found that a potent force to counter communist feelings of that era was religion abd especially the pope. The late Paul Jon II was eager to play that part, insurgitating revolts against USSR in Poland and siding with the more conservative elements of italy to put it mildly against communists there.
    That of course happened and in muslim countries when communism was a very popular idea and close to taking power the Americans and other western countries would give extra support to the islam priests to counter that. of course that had other repercussions later.
    still interesting.
    in one segment it even said that the Pope had fobiden the communists from even entering the church? or something like that. something that wasn't even done for even the nazis.
    anyway interesting

and does anyone know the name of that italian play where in a small village a communist and a priest talk and it is realized that they share much more than what divides them? don something...

Comment

paiktis, paiktis.... the name is vaguely familiar... just can't connect it yet..

Comment

Don Camillo something

Comment

don cammilio(?) maybe?

Comment

You can't even enter the damn church if you're pro-abortion.
            Last edited by Kidlicious; April 13, 2005, 16:16.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

do they ask you on your way in?
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
                do they ask you on your way in?
                I admit that I don't know. The only time that I have tried to enter a Catholic church is when I went to visit the mission. They didn't seem to care about my politics actually so long as I paid my "donation."

Comment

Gotcha!

Found a pic

How you've been, sheepshagga? Didn't see you posting in a while. I hope you're still the Antiamerican-Greek-nazifascist-commie and didn't discover Buddha or something in the meantime

I'm not provocating, just my way to say wellcome
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                    the Antiamerican-Greek-nazifascist-commie and didn't discover Buddha or something in the meantime

that reminded me of an advertisement saying: it has everything and it's a good deal

Comment

You haven't said anything anti-American yet, or even pro-Greek. What are you waiting for?

Comment

He's been away. His trolling skills have waned... sad, sad, he was one of the best... ofcourse I pwned him always but I never brag about that ...

Comment

Comment

vetty did you come for the olympics?

btw in the expose there was stuff about Croatia too but I will not say what for (ww2) since you're already having some difficulties with the EU
                            but seriously freaky stuff.

I will not describe what it was but after aaaall of this and so much bad blood between serbs and croats how On EARTH did tito manage to put together serbia and croatia in one federated state SO SOON?

Comment

Paiktis! It's YOU! After all these centuries! Hey, don't run off just yet. I'll let your buddy DinoDoc know you're here ... *scampers off*

Gatekeeper
                              "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Working...
                              X