Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Advice

I need some book advice. I'm looking for two things:

One is, a general world history book, starting from the ancient times, to the Information Age. I'd prefer this to be in-depth, and comprehensive.

The other, is a book about ancient battle tactics, in the time of Carthage. (war elephants, horsemen, legionaries and such.) I don't need anything to hard-core, but a book explaining some different tactics, and how they were used in real life, would fit my needs.

I'm reading A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, which I'm enjoying. It goes into some detail, but moves very quickly, so you get the sense of being rushed. I suppose you would need a volume of books to do the subject matter justice though.
    Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Re: Book Advice

Originally posted by Lord Nuclear The other, is a book about ancient battle tactics, in the time of Carthage. (war elephants, horsemen, legionaries and such.) I don't need anything to hard-core, but a book explaining some different tactics, and how they were used in real life, would fit my needs.
      John Keegan's excelent book 'A History of Warfare' briefly discusses this. He doesn't go into any great depth on the topic though.
      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
      - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

One that immediately springs to mind is 'The Roman War Machine' (limited to the Roman Empire, alas, but it is comprehensive in that regard).

Peddie, John: The Roman War Machine publ. Alan Sutton

This website might be of some help:

There's also a video of two documentaries on Roman sieges and battles, with the same name:

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

One is, a general world history book, starting from the ancient times, to the Information Age. I'd prefer this to be in-depth, and comprehensive.

You cannot go wrong with J. M. Roberts The New History of the World, an 1,200+ page history of world civilization, with its focus on the development of the modern world (or what used to be called "Western Civ".)

Comment

I have two books that deal with world events- one is a chronology of war, from ancient times to the present day, the other more general, dealing with art, science, literature, economics et cetera, as well as warfare.

I'll find the titles and post them here tomorrow.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Well, one is 'Timelines of War: A Chronology of Warfare From 100 000 B.C. To The Present'

by David Brownstone and Irene Franck, published by Little, Brown.

The other is: 'Encyclopaedia Of Dates and Events' edited by L. C. Pascoe, published Hodder & Stoughton.

Neither exactly meets the criteria you set, but they are extremely useful reference books.

Comment

Working...
              X