No announcement yet.

Chili! Chili! Chili!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, but I'm lazy so ground beef it is.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Putting extra things like cheese in chili

Eat it like a man!
      I changed my signature

Comment

Originally posted by Gamecube64
        Putting extra things like cheese in chili

Eat it like a man!
        I don't put it in the chili, it's a garnish like cilantro.
        He's got the Midas touch.
        But he touched it too much!
        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Allowable garnishes for chilli:

Chopped raw chillis
          Pickled chillis
          Extra hot chilli sauce..

I think that's about it.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Silly Euros. Don't you understand that chili is a southwestern dish and that cattle ranching is the heart of the southwest? Of course real chili has ground beef in it.

Ah yes- with the traditional Southwest ingredients, all natural 'gravy browning' and 'taco seasoning'.
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Some enjoy a nice human appendage in their chili once in a while...

Comment

let it sit in the fridge overnight

Always better the next day .

And oh yes, cheese is definetly an acceptable garnish for chili.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Ludd's a canuck. If you're going to insult us euro's, at least insult of for something we've actually done.
                  Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                  -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Ah yes- with the traditional Southwest ingredients, all natural 'gravy browning' and 'taco seasoning'.
                    I didn't say mine was traditional. I did say that traditional chili had meat in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
                      Ludd's a canuck. If you're going to insult us euro's, at least insult of for something we've actually done.
                      I always thought he was from Belgium for some reason. I guess the Dominion part should have tipped me.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

I didn't say mine was traditional. I did say that traditional chili had meat in it.

I think that depends whether you mean 'traditional American' or traditional.
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          Vegetarian chili
                          Chili was originally a vegitarian dish.

Cincinatti chili is very strange stuff. It's more of a condiment than a meal. It's best on hot dogs or spaghetti. By itself it's fairly nasty. Happily for me, there is a Skyline Chili place here in Ft. Lauderdale.

I don't eat as much chili as I used to, cuz the Bunnygrrl likes sweet chili and I prefer stuff that will disolve your jaw. One thing that makes chili really good is to throw about half a can of refried beans in. It really thickens it up.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Chili History, Legends and Recipes, where does a legend begin and how does it become part of history? There are many stories about where chili originated.

There are many legends and stories about where chili originated and it is generally thought, by most historians, that the earliest versions of chili were made by the very poorest people. J. C. Clopper, the first American known to have remarked about San Antonio's chili carne, wrote in 1926:

"When they have to pay for their meat in the market, a very little is made to suffice for a family; this is generally into a kind of hash with nearly as many peppers as there are pieces of meat - this is all stewed together."
                            It also says that Chili was entirely American and not at all Mexican in origin. Chili is an American originial.

Comment

For an interesting, sweeter variation, use cans of baked beans instead of kidney (or whatever) beans.

Comment

Same link:

1850 - Records were found by Everrette DeGolyer (1886-1956), a Dallas millionaire and a lover of chili, indicating that the first chili mix was concocted around 1850 by Texan adventurers and cowboys as a staple for hard times when traveling to and in the California gold fields and around Texas. Needing hot grub, the trail cooks came up with a sort of stew. They pounded dried beef, fat, pepper, salt, and the chile peppers together. This amounted to "brick chili" or "chili bricks" that could be boiled in pots along the trail. DeGolyer said that chili should be called "chili a la Americano" because the term chili is generic in Mexico and simply means a hot pepper. He believed that chili con carne began as the "pemmican of the Southwest."

Comment

Working...
                                X