Chili! Chili! Chili!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chili! Chili! Chili!

I must say I love chili and it is so easy to make. I just took a bunch of dried pinto beans (they cost next to nothing) tossed them in the crock pot with plenty of water for a day, strain off the water, boil the beans on the stove for a hour tossing in the ground beef in the last 20 minutes or so, strain off excess water, mix in spicy taco seasoning, brown gravy mix (thickening agent), dried chopped onions, chopped mushrooms, black pepper, a bit of salt, tomato paste, chopped tomatos, mix well and serve. Excellent and so easy especially since almost everything can be bought canned and just reheated. For an extra special treat melt chedder cheese on top of it before you serve.

Who here like chili and what is your favorate recipe?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Chili
    Cincinnati chili

Comment

I really don't know what Cincinnati Chili is. Care to tell us?

Comment

It has got cinnamon and chocolate in it IIRC.
        We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Puting meat in chili.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Texas Chili

More meat in chili

Vegetarian chili
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Sweet potato chili
              Putting Korean hot pepper paste in chili
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

<-- lazy-@ssed guy who opens a can of Dennissons.

Or who heads out to Wolfe Burgers on Lake Avenue in Pasadena, a north of Colorado Blvd.

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                  Puting meat in chili.
                  Silly Euros. Don't you understand that chili is a southwestern dish and that cattle ranching is the heart of the southwest? Of course real chili has ground beef in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                    <-- lazy-@ssed guy who opens a can of Dennissons.

Or who heads out to Wolfe Burgers on Lake Avenue in Pasadena, a north of Colorado Blvd.
                    I've never been to Wolfe Burger before so next time I'm in Pasadena I'll have to look them up. Colorado Blvd is pretty long so which part is Wolf's on? Also is it near old town Pasadena? I find that is my favorate part of Pasadena.

Comment

I use about a pound of meat (ground beef, ground buffalo, hot sausage) and brown it in a pot along with a lot of spices. I use all sorts of spices, cumin and mexican chili powder being the most numerous and ubiquitous, but I also use curry powder, cayenne pepper and whatever else strikes my fancy.

Once the meat is browned I add six cans of beans (two kidney, two pinto and two butter beans), a can of tomato paste and a can of tomato sauce. Sometimes I throw in some other random vegetables, typically mushrooms, potatoes, brocolli etc. If these are leftovers / already cooked I'll add them with the beans (most often the case), otherwise they go in with the meat. Also, if I have any fresh chili's (e.g. jalapenos) I'll add couple to the mix.

I bring the whole thing to a boil. At this point it is edible and I usually can't help but dig in. I'll serve it with some shredded cheese (usually sharp cheddar) and corn tortillas or cornbread. It makes about a gallon of chili. Of course this stuff is a lot better if you let it simmer for an hour or two, or let it sit in the fridge overnight. The spices tend to be almost twice as flavorful if you do this.
                      He's got the Midas touch.
                      But he touched it too much!
                      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

meat chilli
                        veggy chilli
                        MEAT
                        Bunnies!
                        Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                        God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                        'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

My mom's recipe involves four parts venison to one part pork, and pinto beans.

I forget what the other ingredients are, but it's fantastic.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

Meat-filled chili
                            Vegetarian chili
                            Spamming chili threads
                            Offering a nice vegetarian chili recipe
                            Osweld
                            That guy in your avatar kind of looks like my uncle.
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Silly Euros. Don't you understand that chili is a southwestern dish and that cattle ranching is the heart of the southwest? Of course real chili has ground beef in it.
                              Don't tar us all with that brush! Meat rules.

I thought real chili had chunks of beef in it not ground.
                              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                              X