copying vhs to vhs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copying vhs to vhs

Long story short, I have to do a group presentation on the 70s, and so among other things we're going to include some short parts of Apollo 13 and Star Wars, both of which I have on VHS. I'm trying to copy all of the little excerpts from the various media we're presenting onto another VHS. Unfortunately, there seems to be something done to the Star Wars and Apollo 13 cassettes that screws with the tracking or something when you link to VCR's together, making about half of the stuff copied in black and white or messed up color. It's simply not presentable. I believe this is basically some form of copy protection. Does anyone know how to get around this? (No, copying to or from some other medium is not a solution.)

yep, copy protection. you thievin' bastard.

Comment

Just use two tapes.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Yes it is copy protection, and the only way around is to use a computer (with cracked or old software, since all the commercial stuff recognizes copy protection and refuses to proceed), or point a video camera at the screen (which gives mixed but nearly always bad results).
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

There were boxes available early on that could defeat copy protection, but they were all sued out of (mainstream) existance years ago.

Comment

Bastards

Comment

Think about the movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas for commentary about the 70s.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Are you connecting the VCR's via RF? That is, the RF out from one VCR goes to the RF in of the other.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

That dosen't matter. The signal gets scrambled either way.

Comment

I am not an eletronics engineer, but IIRC the RF out is one way. IOW, you cannot detect what's on the other end. If the signal is screwed, it means legit users will get messed up as well.

Also, such copy protection is in direct violation of copyright law, which specifically allow archival copies.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I've tried it both ways.

There must be something just over or under the main signal band that the first VCR reads on the original tape, that causes it to insert another signal that causes the second VCR to screw the pooch.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that different VCRs react to the same tape in different ways.

Comment

Also, protection schemes have changed over the years; I have a tape from 1990 that will pulse deep red with diaigonal warping when copied using two VCRs from about the same period, but that the TV program on my computer will copy just fine -- it apparently dosen't recognize schemes that are that old.

Comment

"You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

ZOMFG JAGUAR YOU ARE SO MEAN!!!1

Poor Kuci just wanted to use Star Wars for his school project. That doesn't make him a TOTAL UTTER GEEK, does it?
                            ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
                              I agree.

Comment

Working...
                              X