No announcement yet.

One case where capital punishment is definitely wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

justice is just a form of revenge...if the people that are affected the most by a crime dont want that much revenge why not...if someone beats you, you can choose not to press charges right...then why not give this guy life with parole instead of DP if the family of the victim wants it?
    Bunnies!
    Welcome to the DBTSverse!
    God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
    'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Maybe because officially the sentences issued by courts aren´t meant to be some kind of revenge but just a means to protect society from those who commit crimes (i.e. a means to prevent those who commiting crimes from commiting further crimes) (of course unofficially they are some kind of revenge [at least in case of DP as people could also be locked away for their lifetime] but what counts is what these sentences are officially meant to be).
      They aren´t connected to the family of the victim, but just to the results the actions of the offender had onto the victim (in this case a premature death) and what the law says about these things.
      I believe, what the victim itself thinks of the crime could probably make a difference but well, in this case the victims is dead, she can´t tell the judges anymore what she thought about being killed by her grandson
      Last edited by Proteus_MST; April 11, 2005, 05:36.
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

i agree that putting away criminals is also for protection of the society but the reason and that is i think also the official reason it to 'punish' them but taking away some of there civil rights...e.i freedom to vote, freedom of movement for a number of years so that they 'pay' for there crimes. protection of the society is a perk.
        Bunnies!
        God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR

Comment

Originally posted by Dracon II
          whilst I'm against the death penalty.... allowing the victim's family to intervene on the nature of a sentence sets a dangerous precedent.

And killing someone, against the wishes of everyone involved, no less, isn't?
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd

And killing someone, against the wishes of everyone involved, no less, isn't?
            The reason we have a justice system is that, when in this case someone is killed, it no longer is a family affair. And in terms of murder, first, killing one's own family shouldn't generate a more lenient sentence. But second and more importantly, when one does commit murder, one does harm not only to the victim, but to the society as a whole. And in this context, it is society as a whole, functioning through the judiciary, that should determine the sentence.
            "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

I would say that killing someone, in accordance with the wishes of everyone involved, is also bad.

If they forgo the death penalty because the parties involved didn't want it... then you have to accept that the opposite might also happen. Bear in mind that the families of victims very rarely want a more lenient sentence for the accused.

I just don't think that deciding a sentence for someone should be influenced by interested parties.

A bent rule is still a rule... if the death penalty is deemed inappropriate in this case it should be inappropriate in any case. Either live with it (excuse the morbid use of the word 'live'), or get rid of it.

Comment

Oh, Dracon, we've missed you so. Spot on .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I would say that killing someone, in accordance with the wishes of everyone involved, is also bad.

true, because they dont have a say about his life... that is the reason why we have a justice system so that people dont take it upon themselves. but are you really trying to say that letting someone live is essentially the same as killing someone?
                  Bunnies!

Comment

I agree with DraconII. Whether you agree with the death penalty or not, sentencing should not be determined by whether your VICTIM ( or their family) happens to be for or against the death penalty
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Kamrat X
                      Because it´s barbaric excuse for justice. And because you can never be sure you execute the right man. And because life is a inviolable human right. And because...
                      1. What makes it barbaric?
                      2. You can set an evidentiary bar high enough to have certainty. DP shouldn't be used without plenty of solid evidence, and should never be used in cases in which the only evidence is circumstantial.
                      3. Life is not an inviolable right. If you are trying to rape or maim me, and I have no other way to escape, I can legally kill you. The attacker revoked his right to life in the same way that a heinous criminal revokes his right to life.
                      Last edited by Wycoff; April 11, 2005, 10:39.
                      I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
                        Maybe because officially the sentences issued by courts aren´t meant to be some kind of revenge but just a means to protect society from those who commit crimes (i.e. a means to prevent those who commiting crimes from commiting further crimes) (of course unofficially they are some kind of revenge [at least in case of DP as people could also be locked away for their lifetime]
                        Is it more immoral to swiftly execute someone that you have total proof of their crime, or to keep that person alive and fed in jail for 40 or 50 years while there are homless people or starving people in the society? What is the point of keeping that man alive, and why does he deserve state resources more than a law abiding citizen? All punishment has some element of revenge.

Comment

How was the sentencing phase of the trial handled? Was the family allowed to speak? That might have made a difference to the jury.

However, I'm with Admiral.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

3. Life is not an inviolable right. If you are trying to rape or maim me, and I have no other way to escape, I can legally kill you. The attacker revoked his right to life in the same way that a heinous criminal revokes his right to life.

and

Is it more immoral to swiftly execute someone that you have total proof of their crime, or to keep that person alive and fed in jail for 40 or 50 years while there are homless people or starving people in the society? What is the point of keeping that man alive, and why does he deserve state resources more than a law abiding citizen? All punishment has some element of revenge.

does this just point out that the justice system is 100% right yet and we should not go killing people before it is?
                            Bunnies!

Comment

Originally posted by DeathByTheSword

does this just point out that the justice system is 100% right yet and we should not go killing people before it is?
                              There should be reviews of every capital case. However, there are plenty of cases even now where it there is a 100% certainty that the convict commited the crime. When these people are found in the review, then put them back on death row.

Comment

No one revokes their right to life. They may, however, put themselves in situations where that right may be temporarily ignored. Your right to life can only be taken from you by due process of law.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X