• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One case where capital punishment is definitely wrong

Family asks Blunt, court to spare relative from execution
    By Tim O'Neil
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    04/09/2005

A family that knows both sides of a gruesome murder is asking Gov. Matt Blunt to spare a relative who is to be executed on April 27 for killing his grandmother.

"We have had enough death in our family," said Matthew Knuckles of Rock Hill. "We just don't want any more grief to come from this."

Donald Jones, 38, is to be executed by lethal injection for beating and stabbing to death his grandmother, Dorothy Knuckles of St. Louis, in her home in 1993. Jones' relatives are asking Blunt to reduce his sentence to life in prison without parole.

Leading the effort for the family are two brothers of the victim - Matthew Knuckles, a Rock Hill alderman for 16 years; and Lester Knuckles, mayor of Velda Village (now Velda City) from 1976 to 1981. The family is circulating a petition, has filed a request for clemency with Blunt and is working with lawyers to file more court appeals.

The Missouri Supreme Court set the execution date for Jones after the U.S. Supreme Court on Dec. 6 turned down Jones' previous appeal. If the execution is carried out, Jones would be the 63rd person put to death by Missouri since 1989, when it resumed the penalty under federal court guidelines set in 1976.

Dorothy Knuckles, 68, was murdered in her home in the 3700 block of Cozens Avenue on March 6, 1993. A St. Louis Circuit Court jury found Jones guilty of beating her with a butcher block and stabbing her fatally after she refused to give him money for drugs.

Jones was arrested three days later and gave police an audiotaped confession in which he blamed the crime on "the monster in me." He had taken his grandmother's car and "rented" it to two men in exchange for two rocks of crack cocaine.

Several members of the family, including his two uncles, urged the trial court in 1994 to spare Jones' life. They said they oppose the death penalty as a matter of principle.

"Two wrongs don't make a right, and the Bible will tell you that," said Lester Knuckles.

Bill Swift, a public defender in Columbia, Mo., said he will ask the Missouri Supreme Court next week to halt the execution and reconsider several issues. One of them, he said, concerns a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that increases the requirements for defense lawyers to examine a defendant's life history.

But Swift said the family's own opposition should be compelling enough.

"This family went to the prosecutor and then went into court and said, 'We don't want the death penalty,' and yet their preference was ignored," Swift said. "Usually, the courts talk about how the victim's family wants the death penalty. Not this family."

Scott Holste, a spokesman for Missouri Attorney General Jay Nixon, said his office "will continue to oppose any attempts to court to get this sentence overturned."

Jessica Robinson, a spokeswoman for Blunt, said the governor has asked the state Board of Probation and Parole to consider the case and offer a recommendation. She said Blunt will review the case
    Anyone want to defend the prosecutor in this one?

Since when does the defendant's family get to decide what punishment the defendant should receive? The fact that the victim was also family member doesn't change that. The criminal commited a vicious, capital crime, and he should be executed for it. The fact that his family doesn't believe in the DP for religious grounds should be irrelevant.
    Last edited by Wycoff; April 10, 2005, 18:11.
    I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

No, DP is always wrong.
      I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

The death penalty is always wrong, but extra wrong in this case.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

While I too oppose the death penalty, basically what Wycoff said. We don't let the family decide when they want a harsher penalty, why should we let the family decide when they want a more lenient penalty? The success of our judiciary rests in everyone having access to the same justice, and creating exceptions does no good at all.
          "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Kamrat X
            No, DP is always wrong.
            Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
              While I too oppose the death penalty, basically what Wycoff said. We don't let the family decide when they want a harsher penalty, why should we let the family decide when they want a more lenient penalty?
              Should people also not be given the choice to press charges when faced with more minor crimes? They get some input because they are the ones directly impacted by the crime.

The success of our judiciary rests in everyone having access to the same justice, and creating exceptions does no good at all.
              There's nothing successful about an overbearing and arbitrary 'justice' system.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
                While I too oppose the death penalty, basically what Wycoff said. We don't let the family decide when they want a harsher penalty, why should we let the family decide when they want a more lenient penalty?
                Your reasoning is admirable, Admiral. I concur.

Originally posted by General Ludd Should people also not be given the choice to press charges when faced with more minor crimes? They get some input because they are the ones directly impacted by the crime.
                No, they get some input because the prosecution gets embarassed when their witnesses refuse to show up.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

No, they get some input because the prosecution gets embarassed when their witnesses refuse to show up.
                  That was a more broader "they". If the judiciary can't accommodate matters on a case by case basis, it isn't worth having.

This was strictly a family affair, so the family should have some say in the actions that should be taken.

We don't let the family decide when they want a harsher penalty
                  Don't prosecuters often pressure the court for a harsh penalty?

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd

This was strictly a family affair, so the family should have some say in the actions that should be taken.
                    Murder is never "strictly a family affair." The state has a compelling interest in the enforcement of its laws. If this were the case where the family wanted the DP for the defendant but the prosecutor did not or could not, the fact that this was a "family affair" wouldn't allow the family members to take it upon themselves to execute the defendant.

Comment

whilst I'm against the death penalty.... allowing the victim's family to intervene on the nature of a sentence sets a dangerous precedent.
                      The only way to get rid of the death penalty is to ban it.

Comment

Anyone want to defend the prosecutor in this one?

Who cares what the victim's family wants in the form of punishment? We don't live in a society where blood money can be paid to the victim's family instead of the execution. The law should be followed.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I agree with this, as well.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

I´m with Wycoff and Admiral in this one.
                            While I´m also against DP, the defendant shouldn´t be able to take "advantage" of the fact that it was a family member he murdered.
                            I believe there are alot of people who are waiting for execution and even less deserve DP than this man, but don´t have the advantage of their family trying to intervene.

Either get rid of DP within this state altogether or punish this man according to the law (which obviously means execution)
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff

Why?
                              Because it´s barbaric excuse for justice. And because you can never be sure you execute the right man. And because life is a inviolable human right. And because...
                              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Working...
                              X