No announcement yet.

Cherry Blossoms!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry about the tardiness. I was busy viewing!

This year is exceptional for two reasons. It was the latest full bloom that I have ever seen. Full bloom probably will be tomorrow, the last day of the Cherry Blossom festival, due to the cold winter and beginning of spring. Since that was the case, full bloom hit during the time when all of the festival activities are going on and today it was absolutely packed with people down on the Mall.

The funny thing with this year's cherry blossoms is that it is the first year that the World War II memorial is open during the viewing. The WWII memorial is smack dab in the middle of the mall. You can hardly avoid it. But there was a surprising lack of Japanese tourists in that area. The Phillipino tourists and immigrants from the Phillipines always like to get their picture taken at the Phillipines' "state" wreath at the WWII memorial. Always interesting to see, remembering that the Phillipines was part of the US at the time.

It was a good mix of folks on the Mall. Lots of Asians other than Japanese, including Indians and Chinese (are cherry blossoms popular in these countries as well?). There was even a woman in a full length covering with only an eyeslit. In addition to the tourists, there was a college rugby football tourney. Rugby's such a great game.

Pedestrians take in the Cherry Blossoms along the Tidal Basin Friday, April 8, 2005, in Washington. U.S. Park Service predict the trees will be in full bloom this weekend.(AP Photo/Lawrence Jackson)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DanS; April 10, 2005, 00:59.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Tourists stroll among cherry blossoms peaking along the Tidal Basin near the Washington Monument in Washington, April 7, 2005. The annual Cherry Blossom Festival runs through April 10th and marks the 93rd celebration of the original gift of the 3,000 cherry trees from the city of Tokyo to Washington. REUTERS/Jason Reed
      Attached Files
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Here you can see a picture from Wednesday, with the trees in pre-bloom. There were still some trees today with pink flowers yet to fully bloom.

A woman who identified herself only as Chika, visiting from Tokyo, Japan, reaches up to touch a Cherry Blossom along the Tidal Basin in Washington, Wednesday, April 6, 2005. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
          its eerie how much the second picture reminds me of home
          It's eerie how much the second picture reminds me of the third picture.......

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Yeah, I've noticed quite a lot around here in blossom, especially down Footscray Road where the shops are here - quite impressive!
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

vegetation is overrated

Comment

Here's the picture that didn't show up correctly this morning.
                Attached Files
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

And here's today's picture. Only a single tree, but it's the most famous one in my prefecture.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Drake Tungsten; April 10, 2005, 08:50.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Another view...
                    Attached Files
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

This year is exceptional for two reasons. It was the latest full bloom that I have ever seen.

The bloom was really late here as well, due to the long and cold winter. The sudden onset of spring and the blossoms kind of took me by surprise. We had snow on the mountains around my town little more than a week ago...
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Are the pink trees peach or pear blossoms or just another variety of cherry blossoms? Awesome pics, by the way. Why would the Japanese tourists come to DC, when they have that?

Comment

I was at a protest in Philly six years back. During the prtest I sat in a blooming cherry tree. That was nice.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Are the pink trees peach or pear blossoms or just another variety of cherry blossoms?

Peach. Had some nice magnolias in the area, as well.

Why would the Japanese tourists come to DC, when they have that?

Crowd control. If they didn't ship some of their tourists off to DC, those of us here would never make it to the trees...
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X