want less crime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pekka
    There is a reason for stress. THat should be reduced by looking at the factors creating stress and attacking those. Anger is natural. Principles of Buddhism. What's wrong with teaching kids to be tolerant and respect other people and their property and way of life? Teaching buddhims makes no difference to the kids who won't learn those basic values any better.

Want less crime? Raise the reasons to be happy. That means, build up the living conditions everywhere. Better life, no reason to do crimes, less hate and anger, less conflicts, and definitely less mental problems.
    living conditions

In the U.S., we have the best living conditions in the world, and the most crime.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident

living conditions

In the U.S., we have the best living conditions in the world, and the most crime.
      We don't have the most crime in the world, most countries not within the limited group considered "developed" have more crime than we do. We do have more crime than most of the other developed countries, i.e., Western Europe, Canada Australia, Japan, Korea, and Taiwan. While it's true that the US is on average richer than the other developed countries, I think that we allow the less priviledged strata of our populace to live in a greater degree of uncertainty and stress than do the other developed countries.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

We don't have the most crime in the world, most countries not within the limited group considered "developed" have more crime than we do. We do have more crime than most of the other developed countries, i.e., Western Europe, Canada Australia, Japan, Korea, and Taiwan. While it's true that the US is on average richer than the other developed countries, I think that we allow the less priviledged strata of our populace to live in a greater degree of uncertainty and stress than do the other developed countries.
        I'll have to agree with you on that. Iraq probably has the most crime . African countries and certain latin american countries probably aren't much better.

Comment

City of God!
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Surely the more you have, the more you want? Better living conditions would, in theory, make people less discontented and therefore less likely to commit crimes.

In reality though, so long as there were some people better off than others, those at the 'bottom' would still be driven to crime even if realistically they weren't having to go without anything. Social injustice seems to be around however rich the country is.

Buddism does sound a generally peaceful and 'let live' philospphy of life...but then I'd rather have a generation of criminals and disaffected rebels than low crime rates and a totally brainwashed population.
            Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

Re: want less crime?

Originally posted by ashby
              It would be possible if we taught some of the basic principles of buddhism in primary/elementary education we could theorectically begin to remove a lot of crime and violence in a society over time.

How?

By the increasing number of people who are more aware of the techniques to deal with their: anger, jealousy and stress. All of which are major precursors to a lot of crime and violence.

What do you think?

I reckon it could work.
              Vote Natural Law on May 5th!
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Actually, there is no linear correlation between material wealth and crime. There is a certain correlation between wealth and happiness, but happiness stagnates at some point.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Re: Re: want less crime?

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Right now, the only way children are taught to deal with problems is through sitcoms (insult the other guy) or action movies (blow them up).

Sad, but true.
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I will continue to fight against the commies argument that living conditions and lack of wealth cause crime.

As Lancer will tell you, the people in that Philappines village of his are poor, but yet they have a strong family structure, and have relatively low crime rates.

A strong family structure is important. Argh, I sound like a conservative here. But I do think the U.S. lost something when our family structure broke apart. It's the only plausible explanation why our crime rate skyrocketed in the 20th century. As even in the 19th century, people in the U.S. had deplorable living conditions, but didn't have a crime rate to match.

Comment

Ohh like the family structure hasn't broken in other countries? Who does most crime in the US? Let's take their yearly income and see. US does not have the best living conditions, when it comes to poor people. And there's a lot of poor people in the US. Is it a cause for crime? Yes. But it's not the only cause for crime. Just one of them.
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                        Ohh like the family structure hasn't broken in other countries? Who does most crime in the US? Let's take their yearly income and see. US does not have the best living conditions, when it comes to poor people. And there's a lot of poor people in the US. Is it a cause for crime? Yes. But it's not the only cause for crime. Just one of them.
                        I would be surprised if Europe had as many divorces and single mothers as in the U.S.

Comment

Working...
                        X