Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kamrat X
    This is the top 40 booklist in sweden 2004

As you can see the first (and only) Nobel Prize Winner is in 34th place...

A quick look at similar lists in Norway and USA (NY Times best seller list and Amazon.com) shows that they don´t have a single nobel prize winner anywhere.
    Again popularity != good literature.

I love reading fluff novels that are quick reads, but I'll admit that they aren't "literature" in the sense that Faulkner or Joyce is literature. The latter two take a bit more work to read, but their work gives much more satisfaction. When I finished the Da Vinci Code, I felt like I had just finished a fun but simplistic movie. When I finished Great Expectations, I felt like I had been a witness to an intimate part of British history. That's a bit of a difference.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

Or, indeed, have read a book.
      True
      I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Again popularity != good literature.

I love reading fluff novels that are quick reads, but I'll admit that they aren't "literature" in the sense that Faulkner or Joyce is literature. The latter two take a bit more work to read, but their work gives much more satisfaction. When I finished the Da Vinci Code, I felt like I had just finished a fun but simplistic movie. When I finished Great Expectations, I felt like I had been a witness to an intimate part of British history. That's a bit of a difference.
        When I finished The Brothers Karamazov I felt mostly confused, granted it was in high school. But nevertheless... I think "great litterature" is in the eyes of the beholder. But who decides what is "good" litterature and what is "bad"? People who read and write the "good" litterature!
        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Authors, professional critics and scholars. I intend to be two of those three.

The Da Vinci Code is nowhere near nobel-prize worthy. The Club Dumas, on the other hand...
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

I just finished Crime and Punishment. WOW.

A contemporary popular novel might be fun, but it won't be WOW.
            Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

It could be WOW, if only authors have ambition and detirmination to make something great.
              "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
              Drake Tungsten
              "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
              Albert Speer

Comment

When I finished The Brothers Karamazov I felt mostly confused, granted it was in high school. But nevertheless... I think "great litterature" is in the eyes of the beholder. But who decides what is "good" litterature and what is "bad"? People who read and write the "good" litterature!
                no, you can look at description and a load of other things..

the Wheel of Time might be fun (might not even be that), but there is no arguing that it is poor writing

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

After the brith of the artist came the inevitible afterbirth of the critic.

History of the World Part 1
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

When I finished Great Expectations, I felt like I had been a witness to an intimate part of British history.

Funny. After reading Great Expectations I felt like I had just been sodomized by a well-spoke of but ultimately boring and unfulfilling gentleman. Or is that the same part of British history you witnessed?
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

molly, take a trip up to Sunderland or Newcastle and ask how many have read a book by Albert Camus.

Yeah, 'cos like I came from a really posh place, innit, and can't connect wiv ver street.

Thanks but my experience of the working classes is first hand- my family never owned a car, never owned a flat or a house, and neither of my parents completed their secondary educations.

It's an entirely erroneous notion that people from 'Oop North' or the working classes are ignorant of what constitutes good writing, or incapable of producing it themselves, or unwilling to read anything more edifying than Jeffrey Archer or whatever barely literate potboiler is at number one in the paperback bestsellers.

Perhaps on the 'bestseller' or mass of units shifted criterion, you imagine that the Bible and the works of Mao are the best texts ever written or collated.
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                      X