Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should be done about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should be done about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac?

The top executives in both these companies are a bunch of crooks if you ask me. They're exposing themselves to too much risk and expecting the govt to bail them out. There's a lot of pressure on them right now. So what should Congress do?
    Privatize
    66.67%
    Fully regulate like a public utility
    0.00%
    Banana
    33.33%
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

If you remind people what they are..you know, Europeans and quite a few Americans won't know what these things are..

I have only deal with Sallie Mae, and no complaints yet.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

FAQS on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac

What are Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac?
      Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are shareholder-owned companies whose objective is to make sure mortgage money is available for home buyers in America. They do not lend money directly to home buyers. Instead, they work with lenders, exclusively operating in the secondary mortgage market. They help to ensure that money for mortgages is available to home buyers in two ways. First, they purchase mortgages from lenders and hold those mortgages in their portfolio. The lenders, in turn can use that money to make more mortgages for more home buyers. Second, they issue what are known as Mortgage-Backed Securities (MBS) in exchange for pools of mortgages from lenders. These MBS provide the lenders with a more liquid asset to hold or sell.
      Go to the website for more. There's lot's of info there.

Comment

One thing that bothers me is that Congress as a whole does not understand the economics involved here. Allowing Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae to take these risks doesn't lower interest rates it only fattens the pockets of the stockholder's and the top executives and the tax payers are taking the real risks.

Comment

I voted banana since you didn't include the option:

Limit the size of their portfolios
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Let them die.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang
              I voted banana since you didn't include the option:

Limit the size of their portfolios
              Can a moderator put that in? Otherwise you can include that as regulate them like a public utility.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha
                Let them die.

Comment

Working...
                X