Job Interview Part XVI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Interview Part XVI

OK! So finally, I got a call back.. I'm going for a job interview with the big finnish N. I'm kind of nervous though.. I had to talk myself into getting it since they had 'lost my resume and application'. However, I know that might be true, since I might have e-mailed it to the wrong department . So, basically I called up and talked some and now I'm going for an interview next week, so it was fast stuff. Who am I kidding, no one can resist my talking when I'm in the zone, getting what I need to get!

However, this will be the first interview IN A LONG LONG TIME. I have actually been on few very informal interviews, but this seems more like a formal one, plus I was told to 'reserve enough time' because it could last quite a while. Wow, thanks for the booster! Now I'm totally nervous. I don't know what to expect, and seems like I have forgotten all the golden rules. I need to get to the positive from thinking all the possible ways I can fail in that interview. Advices, tips, please?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Dress up and be polite. And whatever you do, do not pull out a sony/ericsson cell phone.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Don't try to feel the guy's nuts. Some people don't like that - even in Finland.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Thanks for the advices, espcially Kontiki made good points.

pchang, I'm contemplating between dressign in a suit or just dressing to clean and .. neutral clothes. Mind you, going for a suit in here is rare, even in job interview situation. The worst is overdoing. If you ask me, it wouldn't be overdoing so I'm still thinking about that. And no I don't have rival phone

Kontiki, it's a she.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

I don't think a suit at any type of interview is bad. I'm going for a semi-interview for a masters degree/ scholarship in a couple of weeks, and I'm still going to wear a suit even though I won't actually be sitting down and getting grilled.

Comment

Be ready to answer negative questions with positive answers.

Like "name your biggest weakness"

1. Sometimes I sacrifice family time due to work.
            2. Sometimes I take too long trying to solve something myself before asking for help. I'm getting better at it, but every now and then I fall into my old pattern.
            3. Somtimes when I'm working with a team and nothing is getting done, I try to step up and take charge even when it's not supposed to be my role.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

rah, ohh that's a good one. I don't think i would have come up with such good ways to answer that particular question, that will come up for sure.

Gibsie, Like I said, _in here_ it's a bit different. But, I'm still thinkign if I should, regardless.
              In da butt.

Comment

Maybe not suit, but good shoes, pants, shirt and tie.
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

Yeah.. I'm looking for a compromise, basically not 'overdressing' or vice versa. Good shoes, definitely, pants yes, shirt yes, but I might leave the tie out. Then again, I might take the tie with me. Plus basically, this is a 4 month summer job/trainee type of thing, so yeah I need to play down and cool, even though the job itself will be quite cool.
                  In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                    Be ready to answer negative questions with positive answers.

Like "name your biggest weakness"

1. Sometimes I sacrifice family time due to work.
                    2. Sometimes I take too long trying to solve something myself before asking for help. I'm getting better at it, but every now and then I fall into my old pattern.
                    3. Somtimes when I'm working with a team and nothing is getting done, I try to step up and take charge even when it's not supposed to be my role.

esp #3

Comment

In the UK, at the end of an interview they tend to ask something along the lines of 'Now have you got anything to ask us?'.

Think of question thats different from all the other numbnut questions they've been asked ('how long do I get for dinner' or 'how many days holiday do i get'), and one that shows you've looked into the company and/or job youre applying for.

Comment

In this case perhaps "Do I get a free cell phone?"

Comment

reds4ever, yeah I guess that's pretty universal thing and I'm sure I'll have to answer to that one. You know, it's so... our nature is very different. The worst you can do is brown nose, so you have to be extremely .. smart with it. Say, if I was in somewhere else, I could be asking things like 'so, where do you see the company in 5/10 years?' or stuff like that. Or personal questions. But basically that's not an option now. Also option for trying to make the interviewer talk as much as possible about herself is not an option, even though that's a great strategy and something I recommend to everyone.. the more they talk about themselves, the better it's for you and the time flies faster and they have better taste in their mouths when it's all over. So I need to be smart, and not overly brown nosing. That question I need to answer, I have thought about it, yet I can't see what i'm going to answer, yet.

Also question 'what will you bring to our team' is a tough one. I mean, to answer smart, not just 'My contribution will be my energy etc. + I can work with all kinds of people and I get along with everyone'. It's a tough nut!

But I need to be showing interest, so I'm thinking strategies.. somehow it's easier to help someone else, and when it's your turn, your head tends to go blank and you just forgot it all . I guess it also means I do care for this particular job very much and I wasn't even raising any hopes of actually getting to the interview even. But now it's here, it's soon, and I need to be ready.
                          In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang
                            Dress up and be polite. And whatever you do, do not pull out a sony/ericsson cell phone.
                            Don´t pull out anything else either. Even if you´re very proud of it
                            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Well well, I think I'll go with the proper look anyway. I'll make a compromise. I won't go with real shoes for suit (because I have really killer shoes for suit) but similar. I'll go with real pants (suit) and then I'll go and buy me a new shirt, because I don't want to go with a real shirt for suit. I mean I got a white really sharp shirt, but it's too sharp I figure, like being a president type of sharp. So I'll go and dress it down with the shirt, which will be a shirt that you could wear with suit, but not like 400 dollar shirt or white. I'll go with orange shirt, but really smart and good looking, and without tie. This way I won't be over or under dressed for it and give good impression. And I'll get a haircut.

One thing though... she wanted me to bring all documents about past jobs etc. no problem, but she also said documents with relation to hobbies etc. How can I bring documents about my hobbies? I mean what the hell does that mean? I have NO idea... but she asked, so it would be stupid to neglect this wish. Maybe she meant I should bring my resume that also has some of my hobbies listed? I just don't see how you can bring a document about your hobbies otherwise. Like proof.

What else could I need? I figure I need my resume, I'll go and take few official pics and attach a pic to it, make it sharp and proper, then I need to bring my proof of studying (being active in the Uni this year), because basically I lost my student card, so I can proof that I really am a student etc what I said I was, then regular ID (drivers license).. what else? **** I'm just nervous already. Too much on stake here.. this is make or break for me. This is the path I need to take, so I can't blow this opportunity.
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X