Computer Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dissident
    I don't think I can though. I have an illegal copy of windows.

LN, i have no other ideas, other than specifically telling the xp firewall about your WoW, or perhaps reactivating the mcaffee stuff and telling them all about your programs... i dislike relying on firewalls for this specific reason (for my home computer, not at work ), they're more trouble over the course of a month than reinstalling my whole gaming system several times would be Practice good password policy and have a couple of good virus/spyware/etc. programs on your machine, back up anything important often, and you're fine, on a home, gaming purposed machine.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Is it an application level (e.g Zone Alarm) or packet level firewall? The former enables/disables individual programs while the latter blocks/open ports etc.

If the former check to see if your WoW program is blocked access.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I've disabled it, and WoW doesn't work. For some reason, the port doesn't show up either.

Comment

You said your internet was working fine though?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Try deinstalling it.
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Yes, I am now able to access the internet, and Instant Message clients such as AIM, and MSN. And nothing is wrong on Blizzard's side.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                Try deinstalling it.

That takes a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Nuclear
                  That takes a long time.
                  Takes a long time to remove the firewall? Shoudn't take more than a couple of minutes.

Comment

I thought you meant WoW. But as for the Firewall, WoW doesn't work regardless if the firewall is on or off. What happens is I log on, it's successful, and it just stops on "Connecting to Server," and then later says, "Disconnected from Server."

Comment

Very strange things can happen under Windows. Try deinstalling the firewall and the privacy service completely from your box.

Comment

The "very strange thing" UR is talking about is a common security feature in modern software firewalls -- it will "lock down" your system (close all but a small number of default ports) to the internet when it's closed. Uninstalling should work.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          The "very strange thing" UR is talking about is a common security feature in modern software firewalls -- it will "lock down" your system (close all but a small number of default ports) to the internet when it's closed.
                          "Common security feature in modern software firewalls"

Only under Windows where developers think they know better than the user. If a program is disabled, it should be disabled.

Comment

Windows is very strange. I just turned the Firewall on again, checked to see if WoW was allowed with full access, it was, loaded up WoW, and it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                              "Common security feature in modern software firewalls"

Only under Windows where developers think they know better than the user. If a program is disabled, it should be disabled.
                              While I'm sure everyone cares what an IT monkey in China thinks about this, security experts disagree with you.

Why do you assume the user disables the firewall, and not a malicious program?

You still have a lot to learn about security, it seems. I'm still waiting for you to continue denying the fact that "heap vulnerabilities" exist. That was classic.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Serves you right for leaving the herd, LN.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X