A good book on WWI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good book on WWI

Can someone recommend a good 'all in one' book on World War 1? By 'all in one' I mean causes, political and military movements before, during and after the war, effects after the war, you get the idea....

Nothing too academic (some pictures to colour in would be nice or pehaps a few dot to dots to complete )

A completely non academic, photo filled, yet very informative little book on WWI is

The Experience of World War I, by J.M. Winter
    Oxford University Press, 1989
    ISBN 0-19-520776-9

Its not very new, but in terms of giving you a complete look its great.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

You could always try Keegan's The First World War.
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Keegan is good.

I found A.J.P. Taylor's work on the subject good as well. I think it was simply called "The First World War" but it has been many years so I may be wrong....
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I'm just watching a documentary on the first aircraft carriers used in WW1, you wouldn't believe the footage of some of the landings.....

Comment

Provoked by a JohnT post, I recently got World War I, by Brig. Gen. S.L.A. Marshall, of the AEF. I've just flipped through it so far, but there are plenty of good maps, and what snippets I've read have been pretty good. That said, Keegan is always a good place to start.
            Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

The Keegan and Winter books both get good reader reviews on Amazon and the 2 together come to a nice round £20. Bad news is that there is a 4-6 wait time on the Winter book.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Cool WW1 colour pictures
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

that war was forced upon us by France!

Comment

ANNNNNDY!

Comment

So when ever someone posts "WW1" Ecthelion will appear?

If you're interested in tha causes of the war and the opening battles Barbara Tuchman's "Guns of August" makes a good read.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi
                        Provoked by a JohnT post, I recently got World War I, by Brig. Gen. S.L.A. Marshall, of the AEF. I've just flipped through it so far, but there are plenty of good maps, and what snippets I've read have been pretty good. That said, Keegan is always a good place to start.
                        It is a good book, but will appeal primarily to Americans as he describes the late war campaigns involving the Americans ( he was an enlisted man back then) in a lot more detail.
                        He's got the Midas touch.
                        But he touched it too much!
                        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander

It is a good book, but will appeal primarily to Americans as he describes the late war campaigns involving the Americans ( he was an enlisted man back then) in a lot more detail.
                          I've noticed that. It's like the final 1/4-1/3 of the book is devoted to the AEF.

Comment

Neither the German people nor the emperor ever wanted that war!

Comment

Dr Strangelove - what would it take to build such a doomsday machine?

Comment

Working...
                              X