"Book burning"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

That would be in line with Aggies all too frequent espoused goal.

I used the Heine quote because of its prophetic nature, but I could just as easily have mentioned William Tyndale and his translation of the Bible into the vernacular:

" Tyndale, the great communicator, meanwhile continued with his translations of both testaments into his beautiful, flowing English taken up and finally encapsulated in the King James Bible which was to be printed in 1611. His Bibles had to be printed in pocket size editions in order to smuggle them across the Channel to those waiting eagerly in England to use them. How many were brought over will never, according to the Exhibition, be known. What is known, however, is that in 1527 William Warham the then Archbishop of Canterbury, wrote to all his bishops requesting them to share the costs of collecting all the Tyndale bibles which could be found and to burn them.

[...]

Thomas More, who had written in Latin against Luther with his Dialogue Concerning Heresies in 1529, now had to write in English condemning Tyndale, but the later, as was the custom of the time, replied publicly with his Obedience of a Christian Man, a treatise on the doctrine of justification by faith alone.

... and Tyndale, branded as an arch-heretic, was captured in Brussels, imprisoned for over a year, tried and condemned for heresy. On 6th October 1536 he was put to death by the gruesome method of being partially strangled before being burned at the stake. "

Or the early Christian church on the works of the Greek poet Sappho, or....

but you get the drift, of course.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

That would be in line with Aggies all too frequently espoused goal.

Hey, get it right. I only want to burn conservatives... well the ones that aren't attractive and female.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Sorry I forgot you think of conservatives as subhuman.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Not book burning as such. Temporary suppression of speech to prevent riots. There's a thin line that must always be treated with care, and NEVER crossed. Certainly the key word is temporary. The goal is not to deny the information to the world, only to prevent people from acting on it rashly when they're riled up. Of course real-world circumstances have to be borne in mind, individual cases, et cetera.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I quite like conservatives. Well, I have to, as my partner is one.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Well rounded in all ways Molly.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Not book burning as such.

OK - book pulping, or locking books up or preventing them from being printed. Burning perhaps causes too much pollution.

Temporary suppression of speech to prevent riots.

Are you saying that it is absolutely impossible for it to be the case that there is a permanent threat of riot?

There's a thin line that must always be treated with care, and NEVER crossed.

What is that? You've already allowed suppression to prevent greater harm (in the case of riots), aren't you now committed to suppression whenever it will have less harmful consequences.

No. I think of them as firewood.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Well rounded in all ways Molly.

Amor vincit omnia.

Comment

Eros nikei ta panta

(probably got the endings wrong, but I can't be arsed checking)

Let's see if Molly is smart enough to get this one.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

No. I think of them as firewood.
                      Shows what you know. We fat capitalists burn with too much soot and smoke. Give me a underfed oppressed worker,they burn far cleaner. Yay environment.

Comment

Math hasn't had anything to do with empirical claims since the 19th century.

Statistics has, and that's been my claim
                        No it hasn't.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

What epistemic status or metaphysical implications? Give me an example.

Are numbers real or conceptual? If physicalism is true, what are mathematical truths about. Are they about anything? Is mathematics a mere conceptual scheme, or is there something necessary about it.
                          This is why filosofy is stupid
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

WTF does this mean "are numbers real or conceptual"?
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If there is a "permanent threat of riot," that right there is indicative of a problem that needs to be solved by different means. People aren't going to stop being mad because you push them around. Suppression is only to be used as a delaying tactic, to shut down a crowd that's starting to pick up rocks and mutter, give you time to think. You still have to address the actual grievances to resolve anything.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Eros nikei ta panta

(probably got the endings wrong, but I can't be arsed checking)

Let's see if Molly is smart enough to get this one.

'Get' in what sense ?

Since 'nike' was goddess of victory and 'eros' the son of the goddess of love, what am I meant to be getting ?

Anyway. I don't perform tricks, not even if you ask nicely.

Comment

Working...
                                X