No announcement yet.

pchang: Plasma Cosmology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We built them at MIT when I was a grad student (mini ones).
    Sweet! How big were they and what was the power supply?

(Didn't mean to sound like I was dissing your efforts, just knew that HETs were commercialized in the late 90s from Russki tech, so...)
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Power supply was the Boston power grid (supplement by some huge ass capacitors). How big? Only a dozen N thrust or so.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Well, that's nothing to sneeze at. It's probably the most powerful electric propulsion engine by thrust ever built in the US.

Do you remember the ISP?
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

about 10,000 s.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

Too bad aerospace is such a ****ty business to be in.

Comment

Why do you assume that?

If these fields were compressible in phase space, that would lead to particles piling up continually at points in the plasma (since the divergence of a vector field at a point is the limit as a volume encompassing that point, V, goes to 0 of 1 of 1/V * the flux of the field through the boundary of V). And that's not a physical situation.
              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
              -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Too bad aerospace is such a ****ty business to be in.
                That's why I'm not in it anymore.

Comment

Me too.

Comment

Working...
                  X