ACLU Accuses Lt. Gen Sanchez of Perjury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACLU Accuses Lt. Gen Sanchez of Perjury

The ACLU’s National Security Project is dedicated to ensuring that U.S. national security policies and practices are consistent with the Constitution, civil liberties, and human rights.

ACLU Obtains September 2003 Memo Central to Abu Ghraib Story

NEW YORK -- A memo signed by Lieutenant General Ricardo A. Sanchez authorizing 29 interrogation techniques, including 12 which far exceeded limits established by the Army’s own Field Manual, was made public for the first time by the American Civil Liberties Union today.

"General Sanchez authorized interrogation techniques that were in clear violation of the Geneva Conventions and the Army’s own standards," said ACLU attorney Amrit Singh. "He and other high-ranking officials who bear responsibility for the widespread abuse of detainees must be held accountable."

The ACLU has a lawsuit pending against Sanchez alleging direct responsibility for the torture and abuse of detainees in U.S. military custody. The existence of the memo and excerpts of it were previously published in The Washington Post, but it is being reprinted in full here for the first time.

The Defense Department initially refused to release the September Sanchez memo on national security grounds. After the ACLU filed legal papers specifically challenging the withholding of the memo on those grounds, the Defense Department reconsidered its position and released the document to the ACLU late in the afternoon on Friday, March 25, 2005. At the same time, the Defense Department released a previously leaked October 12, 2003 Sanchez memo that superseded the September Sanchez memo.

In a letter sent yesterday to Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein, who is overseeing the case, the ACLU said that the Department of Defense (DOD) "has demonstrated a singular disregard for this Court’s repeated orders and has continued to engage in a pattern of delay." DOD has asked four times for extensions in turning over documents.

The Sanchez memo dated September 14, 2003, specifically allows for interrogation techniques involving the use of military dogs specifically to "Exploit(s) Arab fear of dogs…," isolation, and stress positions.

The September Sanchez memo is posted online at http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/Safe...D=17851&c=206.

The October Sanchez memo is posted on line at http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/Safe...D=17849&c=206.

More than 30,000 pages of other released documents are posted online at http://www.aclu.org/torturefoia.

Earlier this month, the ACLU and Human Rights First filed a lawsuit charging Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld with direct responsibility for the torture and abuse of detainees in U.S. military custody. The action was the first federal court lawsuit to name a top U.S. official in the ongoing torture scandal in Iraq and Afghanistan; many of the charges are based on documents obtained through the FOIA lawsuit. The ACLU has also filed separate lawsuits naming Brig. Gen. Karpinski, Col. Thomas Pappas and Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez. Details about the Rumsfeld lawsuit are online at www.aclu.org/rumsfeld.

The FOIA lawsuit is being handled by Lawrence Lustberg and Megan Lewis of the New Jersey-based law firm Gibbons, Del Deo, Dolan, Griffinger & Vecchione, P.C. Other attorneys in the case are Singh, Jameel Jaffer, and Judy Rabinovitz of the ACLU; Arthur N. Eisenberg and Beth Haroules of the NYCLU; and Barbara Olshansky and Jeff Fogel of the Center for Constitutional Rights.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

ACLU

I hope they get the bastards.
    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Finally, some accountability!

This thing goes all the way to the top from the start, now let's see it get its proper audience.
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

ACLU
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Is there a jurisdictional problem with UCMJ?
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            ACLU

Comment

A lawsuit doesn't prevent her from being brought before court martial. I suspect it's only to get the facts aired. But Sanchez lied to Congress. She's in deep doodoo. Which, I suspect, won't stop her from becoming the darling of the right , ala Ollie North.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

He did autorize the use of dogs but not the abuses photographed in Iraq. It will be hard to impossible to pin those on him and that's what the ACLU is trying to do.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                  Is there a jurisdictional problem with UCMJ?
                  One would imagine but he supposedly lied (I haven't seen or heard the originally testimony) in a Congressional inquiry.

Comment

I got the impression early on that Gen. Sanchez was probably behind the Abu Graab fiasco. I have mixed feelings now that revalations like this are coming out.

It'd be nice to be able to believe that the torture was just the result of a few guards going rogue. But justice demands that the guilty be punished, no matter from how high the guilt flows. If our leaders can't follow the law, how can they expect the rest of us to?

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                      A lawsuit doesn't prevent her from being brought before court martial. I suspect it's only to get the facts aired. But Sanchez lied to Congress. She's in deep doodoo. Which, I suspect, won't stop her from becoming the darling of the right , ala Ollie North.
                      She's going to be the hero soldier who totured for her country.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

techniques involving the use of military dogs specifically to "Exploit(s) Arab fear of dogs…,"

isolation

What's wrong with those?
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Nothing as far as I can tell. People are claiming that it brought about a cycle of abuse or other such things. I'm not sure they can prove something like that though perjury would be much easier to prove if indeed it occured. I really don't know much about the case.
                          Last edited by Dinner; April 4, 2005, 13:39.

Comment

I have mixed feelings now that revalations like this are coming out.
                            What revelations?
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

What revelations?
                              That supposedly Gen Sanchez authorized in writing practices that he said he had never authorized in testimony in front of Congress.

That counts as some sort of revelation, no?
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                              X