The plant that changed the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The plant that changed the world

Not wheat, corn, or soy beans. Oh, ye of little taste. The real plant that changed the world was Capsicum frutescens and C. annum, it's kissing cousin. The lowly pepper. What started as a tasty little nubbin of a fruit on a tropical plant now has changed cuisine the world over.

Yes potatoes feed more stomachs, as do bananas. The grain crops feed humanity. You can substitute one carobhydrate producer for another, within limits. But the pepper has hijacked cuisines the world over.

Find me an Asian, European, or African cuisine left untouched by this new world interloper. Everyone grows it, everyone eats it, and everyone has it in their cuisine in one way or another - even the British! (please note, some philistine will find some outlandish exception to this, like maybe the cuisine of Greenland - to which I intellectually reply - ).

So find me a crop that has changed humanity more than this lowly plant, loving altered by local inhabitants the world over. I would not be surprised if there are more current cultivars of this shy plant than any other food species grown by man. Other candidates are welcome to compete with this wondrous mana, please list them and your reasons below.
    The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
    And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
    Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
    Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Umm, the effect of cuisine on the world is limited, though...
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

and I thought this would be about cannabis...

Comment

There are much better plant contenders in the drug department than that.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Then post your alternative!
          The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
          And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
          Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
          Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Comment

I was just thinking the roots of civlization can be traced to beer.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

The plant which really changed the world was the very first Angiosperm. Most plant species today are Angiosperms and nearly all of the important food or herb plants humans use are Angiosperms.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                  I was just thinking the roots of civlization can be traced to beer.
                  Yes that is true but the frist beer didn't use hops. Hops don't grow in the middle east nor are they found there wild.
                  Last edited by Dinner; April 2, 2005, 16:24.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Well until they used hops I would contend they didn't have real civilized society.
                    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

This thread is becoming un-beerable.

Comment

Hoppies - at least according to the little angel in my avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                          and I thought this would be about cannabis...
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I thought it was about potatoes.
                            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

okay time for my votes.

my favourite food plant: wheat

my favourite non food plant: pine tree (there's several different kinds, I like em all)

Comment

Working...
                              X