Uk Dunce of the enviroment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uk Dunce of the enviroment?

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

and to think of all the 'holier than thou' speaches Tony Blair has been giving recently.........and all the critisism that the usa+china gets from the uk for its enviromental efforts.

I'm doing my bit(cycling instead of driving/recycling/energy saving in the home), but i guess the message is just not getting through to many people
    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Does anybody else here get the authoritarian heebie-jeebies at the following...

"The policy package they have isn't working," Bryony Worthington, climate change campaigner for Friends of the Earth UK, told the BBC News website.

"They need to make radical changes to it, a completely different approach, much more top-down management of emissions across the economy.

"If they don't do that, there's every sign that these trends will continue and we will miss our Kyoto targets."
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
      Does anybody else here get the authoritarian heebie-jeebies at the following...
      Yes, i get them from all of your posts.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

It just shows how unrealistic the Kyoto goals really are. A few eastern block countries can meet the goals by shutting down dirty communist era industries but the rest of the world just won't meet their goals. In any event it looks like the reductions made by the west will be off set many times over by massive new pollution in China. The fact that the third world & China weren't covered has always been Kyoto's fatal flaw.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Just shows how little you know about it, Oerdin.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Yeah Oerdin , everyone knows the best way to meet Kyoto regulations is to lie.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.†- Jimmy Carter

Comment

well its the first year that the levels have gone up, since britain signed up to the protocol. And i guess its a small rise(1.5%).

Still for what its worth, i think in the global view, each attempt to address our pressing enviromental situation, is better than just sitting there saying 'well it was never going to work so why bother' etc.

We have to try is all i can say on the subject. If it means trying and falling short then so be it. The other option is actually the most foolish as many scientists and governments are saying.

And a at general ludd the cheeky monkey

And DanS - i can't see why that bit might upset you, it means rich people wont be able to invest in cheap polluting energy to get richer(how much is enough?)

[but it was just from a friends of the earth person, so they dont carry much clout - just usefull as a sounding board on enviromental stuff i think is how the government views it]
              Last edited by child of Thor; April 2, 2005, 17:45.
              'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Kyoto Accord
                Polution
                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                  Just shows how little you know about it, Oerdin.
                  Not even France will make it's targets. We had another thread on Kyoto a while back showing CO2 output by the industrialized world (flat to slowly growing), out put by old Soviet block (falling through the 90s but now stablized), third world output (largest in the world by far and exploding) and China (output graph looks like a tech stocks price during the height of the tech bubble).

Comment

Either we get a treaty which covers the third world to the same standards as the developed world or we forget about it. It just isn't worth wrecking our economy to see CO2 output climb in China as all of the heavy industry moves to the third world.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Not even France will make it's targets.
                      What were France's targets? I only ask as France has a very low CO2 output already when compared to the UK and Germany due to its heavy use of nuclear power (75%+ of its energy is nuclear).
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                        Either we get a treaty which covers the third world to the same standards as the developed world or we forget about it. It just isn't worth wrecking our economy to see CO2 output climb in China as all of the heavy industry moves to the third world.
                        So if some guy is gonna shoot you, you think you should shoot yourself first?
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin

What were France's targets? I only ask as France has a very low CO2 output already when compared to the UK and Germany due to its heavy use of nuclear power (75%+ of its energy is nuclear).
                          I thought France doesn't have to reduce CO2 output at all. Germany's target is -21 %. So far, we managed to reduce our output by ~16 %.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin

Everyone's targets were to take their 1990 output levels and reduce it by 15% (might have been 10% I'd have to check the details).

Edit: The EU might have horse traded their obligations around to different members but the goal was a 15% reduction from 1990 levels for 1st world countries. The skyrocketing out put by the 3rd world (easily 2/3s of global out put and growing fast is completely untouched).

Comment

Originally posted by kronic

I thought France doesn't have to reduce CO2 output at all. Germany's target is -21 %. So far, we managed to reduce our output by ~16 %.
                              To be fair West Germany is more polluting then ever and the date of 1990 was chosen just so the shutting down of most eastern German industry could miraculously make Germany look good. Of course now the easy stuff has already been accounted for and Germany is faced with the need for real reductions; reductions which most scientists state they just won't meet.

Comment

Working...
                              X