Gardening tips request.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

--

A pitty there aren't any gardening programs on the tele, a real shame I feel, someone ought to dome something about that!!
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin

Great advice. Except of course the north facing walls don't face the sun either.....
      I think he meant walls on the north side of the garden (which would be south facing).
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

My gardening tip- employ a gardener or horticulturalist.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

How long have you been sitting on that word??

Doesn't even exist btw, it's "horticulturist".
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            I'd suggest an herb and vegitable garden.

I have a plot thats also light challenged - west of our townhouse, lots of overhanging trees (which i cant do anything about) I WANT to plant veggies, but all I read suggests that veggies want light - the better bet is certain species of flowers - there are a number that dont need much light. For veggies, lettuces work best apparently.

Ive planted carrots, to take advantage of the time before the leaves grow in on the trees. I have very little experience with gardening and am experimenting.

(north edge of zone 7 here, BTW)
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Growing vegetables

Its one of the reasons i'm an anti gm person, growing food should be free(apart from the labour of it). Gm threatens this by being sterile(you cant propogate from your current produce).
              I dont like the idea of big agro companies decided how much we should all pay for our rights to grow our food
              'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
                Growing vegetables

Its one of the reasons i'm an anti gm person, growing food should be free(apart from the labour of it). Gm threatens this by being sterile(you cant propogate from your current produce).
                I dont like the idea of big agro companies decided how much we should all pay for our rights to grow our food
                I bought my seed packet for 10 cents (US) on sale at the drug store - Im surely not going to try to find seeds on a carrot to save 10 cents
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

and im not sure why GM seeds should mean the end of nonsterile seed sales. AFAIK Monsanto charges a PREMIUM for round-up ready seeds (seeds GMed to resist weed killer) There will always be small seed companies ready to sell you ordinary seeds at a price below Monsantos but high enough to make a profit.

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                    How long have you been sitting on that word??

Doesn't even exist btw, it's "horticulturist".

Oh alva, how could you doubt my expertise with my native tongue ?

" Charlie Dimmock
                    Famed for her lack of supportive underwear, (this means you can see her nipples when she's gardening)Charlie Dimmock's one of Britain's best-known gardeners. Ground Force wouldn't be the same without her.

Charlie started her career by training for four years as an amenity horticulturalist in Winchester and Somerset, as well as a year at the Chelsea Physic Garden in London. "

It's also in the Oxford English Dictionary.

For your punishment I will mistake you for a Frenchman for about a week, or until I receive a consignment of ganache and praline bombes (address to be provided).

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Well, dictionary.com didn't know about it. You should give at some credit for looking it up.

The frenchman part isn't a issue btw, you should have said a Dutchman, then I might have sent you the goods.

Comment

Well, dictionary.com didn't know about it. You should give at some credit for looking it up.

The frenchman part isn't a issue btw, you should have said a Dutchman, then I might have sent you the goods.

Oh sorry, I had already mistaken you for a Walloon.

Comment

/me inches to edge of seat...

now we're talking!! Should have gone for Brussels though.

Comment

* alva inches to edge of seat...

now we're talking!! Should have gone for Brussels though.

Only at Christmas.

There's a very funny death in a Hammer horror film from the early 70s by the way- Arthur Lowe (Captain Mainwaring in 'Dad's Army') has his head covered in pureed brussels' sprouts. Then locusts are let into the bedroom and his flesh is stripped away by the hungry insects along with the vegetable gloop.

I think it's in one of the Dr. Phibes' films....

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin

Great advice. Except of course the north facing walls don't face the sun either.....
                              Well they do in the Southern Hemisphere, and depending on where you are in the Northern Hemisphere they can during the summer, though you are quite right that they are less than ideal in this context.
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                              X