Hans Christian Andersen 200 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hans Christian Andersen 200 Years

Yes, it is no secret that many Danes are proud of our most famous countryman of all, H.C. Andersen, as he is commonly referred to here (1805-1875) - and the fact that his stories continue to entertain so many people around the world even today.

So, tomorrow, 2 April, it will be 200 years since he was born, even though just today, an April Fool's news story tried to convince us that scholars had made the sensational discovery that it was only 199 years after all. Lots of festivities will mark the anniversary, and much (renewed) attention has been directed at his life and times.

This thread is in celebration of Andersen, if you have a favourite fairytale of his or memories of reading from your childhood, let's hear it.

Here's one of Andersen's many paper cuts. More can be found at this site.
    Attached Files

Oh, I love HC Andersen. "Den fula ankungen" is my favourite closely followed by "Kejsarens nya kläder".
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

According to a TV show I saw in Singapore, he was a bit of a fruit.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Happy Birthday H C Andersen. You brought happiness to millions by writing down traditional peasant stories and politically correcting them for a middle class audience.
        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
          According to a TV show I saw in Singapore, he was a bit of a fruit.
          That's right...and then again not. He was intensely drawn to the female sex, but also incredibly shy. Whether he actually was bisexual is anybody's guess, but most scholars agree that as far as sex go, he never did it with any women. He was that shy!!!!

Asmodean
          Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

is he history's first documented dweeb ?

H.C. Andersen
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

In our TV they said Anderson was a gay homosexual, but that it's a cultural thing and so are all Danes. We are thinking of opening our borders to Danish women, because they are getting desperate about the reproduction of the Dane species, that is overwhelmingly gay homosexual, but we will only let bi sexuals, not not full blown lezziesexuals, because what's the point if they seduce our women also. This was in the news, I'm just the messenger.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                In our TV they said Anderson was a gay homosexual
                As opposed to a non-gay homosexual?

Comment

As opposed to decent father of a family Christian God fearing man.
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Comment

I think it's only fair to assume he was, as DaShi put it, a bit of a fruit. Those were fairy-tales after all.

Fruit

Comment

Who?

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                          is he history's first documented dweeb ?

H.C. Andersen

Newton beats him. Kant too, as far as I recall.
                          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                          X