Oh noes! Chicken man dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh noes! Chicken man dies

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

SALISBURY, Md. - Frank Perdue, who built a backyard egg business into one of the nation's largest poultry processors using the folksy slogan, "It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken," has died, the company said Friday.

He died after a brief illness at the age of 84.

At the time of his death, Perdue was chairman of the executive committee of the board of directors of Perdue Farms Inc., headquartered in Salisbury.

Perdue turned over the day-to-day responsibilities of running the company over to his son, Jim Perdue, in 1991.

In 1971, Perdue became his company's television pitchman, and the first to advertise chickens by brand. His tough, folksy TV persona helped boost sales from $56 million in 1970 to more than $1.2 billion by 1991.
    I actually only find it of interest because I grew up in Salisbury, and it's where my parents still live. That, and I met Perdue twice due to my dad's work (he's a professor at Salisbury University, where Perdue was a huge benefactor). The only thing I can say about him personally is that he was actually quite tall, a lousy dresser and looked, well, a little like a chicken.

RIP, Frank!
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

When reading the title I thought it is one of those villains from the comics....
    Blah

Comment

Perdue chickens are mutants.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Actually, I think they come closest to being clones.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

They're mutant clones. I never buy Perdue. They look funny.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I thought he died when his son (or nephew) took over the commercials. Weird.

Comment

Interestingly enough, there's mixed reaction to his death in Salisbury. On the one hand, he gave a ****load of money to a lot of different things. But the downside of that was that he refused to give money to anything if they didn't put his name on something. So he wasn't quite Mr. Generous.

Also, he was once quoted as saying that he liked his chickens better than he liked his people. That's not exacly comforting, since he killed his chickens.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
              X