No announcement yet.

Kids, Driving, and the Occasional Deer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids, Driving, and the Occasional Deer.

I thought I knew all there was to know about driving. I mean I'm a pro at this only two times leaving the roadway and both times was due to ice so I figure I'm cool with all my mulititasking while driving down the interstate or back country roads. That was of course until I started driving with my girlfriends kids . They are everywhere. Asking this and that. Getting into things they shouldnt. Feet on the dash, hands grabbing at things in the others hands. I'm an experienced driver with years of eating, reading a map, talking on the phone under my belt all the while going about 75. Now I'm creeping along worried about what they are gonna grab next. Finally I pulled the ole Gameboy advanced out of retirment and found that there is something that will hypnotize them into being still while im going down the road. Unless of course I have both then the one without the gameboy is wanting it and the other is enthralled with Dig Dug or Galaga.

On to the animal problem. In the past month I have seen more deer jump out in front of me than I used to see while I was actually out in the woods hunting for them. Now I'd just like to make it home without planting one on my hood.

Total for March
    1 deer hit
    4 four nearly hit
    6 deer that clearly wanted to go but was smart enough to let the lead deer take all the risks.
    1 poor squirrel that was not so smart

Lessons learned. When one runs out in front of you, count to 3 and you will usually see a couple more running right behind.
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

You hit a deer? I assume you're okay, since you didn't mention any injuries. As for kids being where they shouldn't, don't you make them wear safety belts?
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

A coworker of my dad was killed a few years ago. Hit an Elk at night in the Rockies, the thing came through the windshield.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
        You hit a deer? I assume you're okay, since you didn't mention any injuries. As for kids being where they shouldn't, don't you make them wear safety belts?
        Yes I make them wear their belts but that really doesnt stop them from reaching. Most of the time they can behave on short trips but not always. As far as the deer goes, it hit on the passengers side right behind the front tire and slid all the way down the side of the car. No dents or anything but it crippled itself in the process. It was about 3:30 one morning inside the city limits. I stopped to look for damage because I was just sure there was but ended up being nothing. It scrambled off in the dark but I could see it dragging its leg. My girlfriend lives out in the country so I encouter them everytime I go to see her. She saw six tonight along the road as she was going back home from a dinner we had at her mom's.
        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Theben and I came close to dying. Almost hit a deer in a Nissan Fiero just about 20 years ago.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            A coworker of my dad was killed a few years ago. Hit an Elk at night in the Rockies, the thing came through the windshield.
            If you hit them head on even a deer will seriously mess a veichle up. II hit mine inside the city limits next to a house.

Comment

I hit a deer once when going to the Naval Weapons Station in Goose Creek, SC (just north of Charleston). And those are fairly small deer out there.

I'm from the desert, and am not used to hitting anying. It scared the hell out of me. My car was making all these weird noise. It sounded like something was coming through the ventilation system. I admit, I thought deer guts were coming through the ventilation system. . But I guess it was just dust and rocks that were disolodged from the impact.

Comment

There should be cages for kids, just like for dogs... Tranquilizers is another thing that comes to mind. And people are worried about other people driving and talking on the phone at the same time?? That´s nothing compared to a car full of kids... I´m constantly terrified when I ride with my sister and she has her kids in the car...
                I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                  Theben and I came close to dying. Almost hit a deer in a Nissan Fiero just about 20 years ago.
                  Pontiac.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

We have eliminated almost all the deer predators. Now, deer are overpopulating the ir habitats and becoming a menace. We need to get those seal clubbers in Canada to come down here when they are done and start culling some deer.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by pchang
                      We need to get those seal clubbers in Canada to come down here when they are done and start culling some deer.
                      They're kinda cute and have those big, teary eyes...

I'm in!
                      What?

Comment

Free venison, count your blessings.
                        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy
                          Free venison, count your blessings.
                          At the risk of car damage of being killed? I think I'll stick to the easy way..

Comment

I love the thread title, it makes me laugh
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

I don't hit deer, they hit me. Twice I've been blind-sided by the stupid things, both times at the same place on the main road in our neighborhood.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                              X