No announcement yet.

barbaric canadians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think they're done in that picture. The seal in the foreground looks a tad too healthy yet.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Asher, a lot is thrown away, c'mon mate, don't be naive.

They are notoriously dangerous and a real threat in the arctic.

Exactly what are people doing there? Is that the only place to start fishing, not realy heaven on earth, is it?
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
        The only Canadians who give a **** about the poor cutesy little seals are Spec, St Leo and Ludd (2 of them usual suspects for any bleeding heart issue)

Eh? I didn't say a word against the clubbing. Bug off.
        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Spec

And do they use the meat or do they kill them just for the skin?
          It's not because there cute, it's the waist. Just like killing sharks just for the fins....

Spec.
          The sealing industry uses every part of the animal they can find a market for. Hell the anti-sealers make a lot of the fact that there is a market for seal penises in asia.
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil
            Curious question: Has anyone here actually eaten seal meat?

Yes I didn't like it much myself but my grandfather loved the stuff especially when my grandmother baked it inside a pastry
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Yea what does it taste like?

Spec.
              The stuff I remember was a darker meat that was pretty oily. It had a lot of flavor but not a flavor I enjoyed.

There are many people that do enjoy seal meat though . . . and when they can, all parts of the animal are used, for things like fertilizer or animal feeds.

Pelts and meats have value and I think there are uses for seal oil as well

The Canadian Sealers Association was formed in November 1982, when some animal rights groups were publicizing negative comments against the sealing industry. A group of sealers decided they were not about to let the animal welfare/animal rights movement take away from their rights and their heritage. The association had its founding meeting in Baie Verte and consists of a board of 14 directors. They had a Constitution, and the 14 members at the time were sealers. The association was designed to speak on behalf of the sealers primarily in Newfoundland, the Quebec North Shore and the Magdalene Islands, and at first was to develop an educational and public awareness campaign to counter act the animal rights groups.

As the association has frown, the primary objective of the CSA and the whole industry is the full utilization of each animal harvested. With funding from the government of Canada the CSA is involved in scientific research of stocks, improved harvesting, management of the resource, research, development of the products and markets like seal oil capsules. Also, protecting the future of the herd’s and industry, provide safety information, training courses and creating some jobs for Newfoundlander’s.

But the anti-sealers wouldn't care about mundane things like facts and the truth

Comment

• Originally posted by General Ludd

But you'll still eat it.

No hunter, just an innocent consumer.
                Yep.

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Sealers must be an endangered species. Humans are not allowed to get closer than half a mile or so.

Seal hunt protesters arrested on Gulf ice floes
                  Canadian Press

CHARLOTTETOWN — Hostility between sealers and seal hunt protesters turned to violence Thursday as a scuffle led to several arrests on the ice floes in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

Animal rights activist Paul Watson, captain of the protest ship Farley Mowat, said 11 members of his crew were taken into custody by the RCMP after they attempted to photograph sealers taking part in the annual hunt near the Magdalen Islands.

Watson, head of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, said he witnessed one of the crew members from his ship being attacked by a sealer.

"One of my crew, Jonny Vasic, who is from Los Angeles was attacked by one of the sealers, smashed in the face and injured,'' Watson said in an interview from his ship via cellphone.

"They broke his camera. I immediately called the coast guard and asked the RCMP to charge the sealer with assault. They responded by sending a helicopter to arrest Jonny Vasic.''

Sgt. Dave Thibault, spokesman for the RCMP, confirmed police are investigating the allegations but no arrests have been made. He said it would take several days to interview witnesses.

The sealer involved in the scuffle said he was just defending himself.

"I had sealers on the ice and they interfered with my sealers,'' Rendell Genge, captain of the Brady Mariner, said in an interview via ship-to-shore radio.

"I called (Fisheries officials) and told them I was taking appropriate action to defend my men ... I'm the captain and I hit one guy with ... my fist to defend myself.''

Genge, from Anchor Point, Nfld., said he had not choice.

"Four men came at me. I fell down and when I got up I was underneath, and the only alternative I had was to defend myself ... I just gave him one punch. I wasn't hitting anymore ... They had 15 to 20 men on the ice and there were only eight of us.''

Watson later issued a statement confirming 19 members of his crew approached the sealing vessel. But he said they remained one half nautical mile away, as required by regulations under the federal Fisheries Act.

However, the statement went on to suggest sealers from Genge's vessel had punched and clubbed six of his crew members.

Michel Therien, a spokesman for the Fisheries Department, said three members of the Farley Mowat crew were arrested by Fisheries officers for allegedly violating the regulations that prohibit protesters from getting too close to sealing vessels.

Therien said more arrests were possible.

"Three members of the crew of the Farley Mowat have been arrested and charged with being less than half a nautical mile from seal hunt operations,'' Therien said. "These individuals have been taken into custody to Charlottetown.''

Watson's group and several other animal protection organizations are monitoring the annual slaughter in a bid to re-ignite international opposition.

Sealers in the Gulf have a catch limit of 90,000 seals, but bad weather has hampered the hunt this year. During the first three days of the hunt, just over 34,000 seals have been killed.

Many of the mostly small fishing vessels taking part in the hunt headed for port on Thursday due to high winds and heavy seas.

So far, two boats have been lost, both requiring dramatic and dangerous rescues.

On Tuesday, nine sealers were rescued from the floes by the Canadian Coast Guard ship Edward Cornwallis. On Wednesday, five fishermen were plucked from the water by a Cormorant helicopter off the coast of Prince Edward Island.

Watson said the Canadian government should call off the hunt before someone is seriously hurt or killed.

Rebecca Aldworth, a Montreal-based director of the Humane Society of the United States, was on her way to the airport to board a helicopter when she heard of the incident involving the Farley Mowat.

She said it's infuriating that opponents of the hunt are arrested when violence occurs on the ice floes.

"When sealers show aggression to observers the law weighs in on their side rather than protecting the people who are observing,'' she said.

She said the incident won't discourage her from observing the hunt.

"We are there to film and document. We plan to approach up to 10 metres from sealers and document the ways that they're killing seal pups,'' she said.

"This is a challenging environment to operate in. Every year we face aggression from sealers. They clearly don't like us filming them.''

About 70 boats were involved at the start of the hunt. But by Thursday, only about 30 were still out, battling the elements.

More hunters will descend on the ice floes off the north coast of Newfoundland on April 12.

This spring marks the last season for a three-year federal plan that allowed sealers to harvest a total of 975,000 seals. The total allowable catch remaining for 2005 is nearly 320,000.

With the harp seal population estimated at more than five million, Fisheries officials say the hunt is a humane, sustainable enterprise for thousands of fishermen in Quebec and Atlantic Canada.

Watson and other animal rights activists describe the hunt as barbaric.

Yeah? Well we describe as barbaric the treatment of Newfoundland wildlife (male fishermen) by neer-do-wells who wouldn't know an honest days work if it clubbed them with a hakapik.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Clubbing animal rights activists
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                      Sealers must be an endangered species. Humans are not allowed to get closer than half a mile or so.

Seal hunt protesters arrested on Gulf ice floes
                      Canadian Press

CHARLOTTETOWN — Hostility between sealers and seal hunt protesters turned to violence Thursday as a scuffle led to several arrests on the ice floes in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

Animal rights activist Paul Watson, captain of the protest ship Farley Mowat, said 11 members of his crew were taken into custody by the RCMP after they attempted to photograph sealers taking part in the annual hunt near the Magdalen Islands.

Watson, head of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, said he witnessed one of the crew members from his ship being attacked by a sealer.

"One of my crew, Jonny Vasic, who is from Los Angeles was attacked by one of the sealers, smashed in the face and injured,'' Watson said in an interview from his ship via cellphone.

"They broke his camera. I immediately called the coast guard and asked the RCMP to charge the sealer with assault. They responded by sending a helicopter to arrest Jonny Vasic.''

Sgt. Dave Thibault, spokesman for the RCMP, confirmed police are investigating the allegations but no arrests have been made. He said it would take several days to interview witnesses.

The sealer involved in the scuffle said he was just defending himself.

"I had sealers on the ice and they interfered with my sealers,'' Rendell Genge, captain of the Brady Mariner, said in an interview via ship-to-shore radio.

"I called (Fisheries officials) and told them I was taking appropriate action to defend my men ... I'm the captain and I hit one guy with ... my fist to defend myself.''

Genge, from Anchor Point, Nfld., said he had not choice.

"Four men came at me. I fell down and when I got up I was underneath, and the only alternative I had was to defend myself ... I just gave him one punch. I wasn't hitting anymore ... They had 15 to 20 men on the ice and there were only eight of us.''

Watson later issued a statement confirming 19 members of his crew approached the sealing vessel. But he said they remained one half nautical mile away, as required by regulations under the federal Fisheries Act.

However, the statement went on to suggest sealers from Genge's vessel had punched and clubbed six of his crew members.

Michel Therien, a spokesman for the Fisheries Department, said three members of the Farley Mowat crew were arrested by Fisheries officers for allegedly violating the regulations that prohibit protesters from getting too close to sealing vessels.

Therien said more arrests were possible.

"Three members of the crew of the Farley Mowat have been arrested and charged with being less than half a nautical mile from seal hunt operations,'' Therien said. "These individuals have been taken into custody to Charlottetown.''

Watson's group and several other animal protection organizations are monitoring the annual slaughter in a bid to re-ignite international opposition.

Sealers in the Gulf have a catch limit of 90,000 seals, but bad weather has hampered the hunt this year. During the first three days of the hunt, just over 34,000 seals have been killed.

Many of the mostly small fishing vessels taking part in the hunt headed for port on Thursday due to high winds and heavy seas.

So far, two boats have been lost, both requiring dramatic and dangerous rescues.

On Tuesday, nine sealers were rescued from the floes by the Canadian Coast Guard ship Edward Cornwallis. On Wednesday, five fishermen were plucked from the water by a Cormorant helicopter off the coast of Prince Edward Island.

Watson said the Canadian government should call off the hunt before someone is seriously hurt or killed.

Rebecca Aldworth, a Montreal-based director of the Humane Society of the United States, was on her way to the airport to board a helicopter when she heard of the incident involving the Farley Mowat.

She said it's infuriating that opponents of the hunt are arrested when violence occurs on the ice floes.

"When sealers show aggression to observers the law weighs in on their side rather than protecting the people who are observing,'' she said.

She said the incident won't discourage her from observing the hunt.

"We are there to film and document. We plan to approach up to 10 metres from sealers and document the ways that they're killing seal pups,'' she said.

"This is a challenging environment to operate in. Every year we face aggression from sealers. They clearly don't like us filming them.''

About 70 boats were involved at the start of the hunt. But by Thursday, only about 30 were still out, battling the elements.

More hunters will descend on the ice floes off the north coast of Newfoundland on April 12.

This spring marks the last season for a three-year federal plan that allowed sealers to harvest a total of 975,000 seals. The total allowable catch remaining for 2005 is nearly 320,000.

With the harp seal population estimated at more than five million, Fisheries officials say the hunt is a humane, sustainable enterprise for thousands of fishermen in Quebec and Atlantic Canada.

Watson and other animal rights activists describe the hunt as barbaric.

Yeah? Well we describe as barbaric the treatment of Newfoundland wildlife (male fishermen) by neer-do-wells who wouldn't know an honest days work if it clubbed them with a hakapik.
                      Taking photographs is barbaric, eh?
                      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• damnit, beaten
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                          Clubbing animal rights activists
                          Beat em, bash em, bite em ............. GO!! SEALERS!

Which reminds me why no one has taken up the Sealers as a professional mascot and franchise yet. Maybe when Canada gets some NHL teams.
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Puts a whole new meaning to the phrase "Let's go clubbing."
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Actually, polar bears dont breed in captivity. They found 2 orphin polar bears which their mom died and the babies were sent to a zoo in Colorado (IIRC) and they managed to keep them alive. That was in 2001 (again IIRC) It was the first time they managed to do that and ran in to hundreds of problems with their heatlh majorly because the mixture in their food was no sufficient in fat and specific vitamins needed. It was all trial and error form the start to the end. While one bear was getting better the other one was slowing down and vice versa.
                              They found that when they added a specific amount of seal fat to the "milk" mixture the bones started to grow normally and the heart beat became normal.

Now the polar bears are living heatly lives in another Zoo.

So no, human flesh is not food that can sustain a polar bear's life. We're just a side dish or a fill up until it finds real food.

Spec.
                              Actually, they do breed in captivity. If the Colorado zoo had problems, it probably was because they didn't ask someone who knew how to do it.

And if you can read danish :

polar bears has breeded regularly since 1946 in Copenhagen zoo.
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by General Ludd

Taking photographs is barbaric, eh?
                                Nope but I doubt that was all they were doing

Bsides, if those regs are accurately quoted, they are breaking the law by getting so close to the operations anyway.

A buffer zone does seem prudent when you KNOW there is going to be an emotionally charged confrontation (on dangerous shifting pack ice).

There is absolutely no reason the protesters need to be anywhere within close range of the sealers. They can make up any photos they need for their fund-raising and I'm betting a cute whitecoat will still figure prominently in that.

Comment

Working...
                                X