barbaric canadians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spec
    That was exactly my point if you read right.

Spec.
    Aha.

The problem is they do attack humans, not that we're their primary targets.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by General Ludd
      I thought you where from California.
      1983-1993: Calgary
      1994-1997: California
      1997-2004: Calgary
      May 2004 - September 2005: Toronto
      September 2005 - ? : Calgary
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

Aha.

The problem is they do attack humans, not that we're their primary targets.
        I know they do. I just dont agree with the "ACTIVELY HUNT HUMANS" part, which is bs.

Spec.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

• Leaving Toronto Asher? Good for you.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil
            Leaving Toronto Asher? Good for you.
            I'm driving from Toronto to Calgary at the end of August. I'm only here on my 16-month internship, then I go back for my last year of school.

Comment

• will you return when finished or stay out west? Is the tech industry strong enough in Alberta?
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil
                will you return when finished or stay out west? Is the tech industry strong enough in Alberta?
                Maybe, might end up in New York or Austin or Silicon Valley, or even Washington State...

I'm not too picky.

Comment

• Spec, YOU said they only attack if we get too near their cubs.

Obviously, we are not their primary food supply, there's not enough of us in the arctic, and we are harder to get. However, it's clear that they WILL hunt , kill, and eat us as the opportunity arises.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                    Spec, YOU said they only attack if we get too near their cubs.

Obviously, we are not their primary food supply, there's not enough of us in the arctic, and we are harder to get. However, it's clear that they WILL hunt , kill, and eat us as the opportunity arises.
                    Not as the opportunity arises, but as a last resort, or in self defense - which is what Spec was arguing, I believe.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• You mean like this?

Polar Bear Mauls Man at Arctic Coastal Radar Site
                      December 1, 1993

A polar bear which had been prowling around an Arctic coast military radar facility crashed through a window of the facility, mauled a worker there, and was killed in the facility library last night. The severely injured man, a nonmilitary construction worker identified as Donald L. Chaffin, was flown to the ARCO Kuparuk medical facility, and later to an Anchorage hospital where he was in intensive care. The incident was reported to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service), which has jurisdiction over polar bears, late last night.

The attack occurred at the U.S. Air Force Defense Early Warning (DEW Line) site at Oliktok Point, approximately 30 miles west of Prudhoe Bay. The site was established in the early 1950's and was presently undergoing construction.

According to reports to Service officials, the adult polar bear, approximately eight feet tall, approached the facility living quarters and peered into a ground floor window. Workers saw the bear looking in and swatted the window with a magazine to frighten it away. It returned a short time later, and they swatted the window again. After a third return and window swat, the bear came crashing through the glass and attacked the men inside. It made its way into the facility library before it was shot and killed by fellow worker Alexander Polakoff.

According to Service polar bear biologist Scott Schliebe, that bear and two or three others seen in the Oliktok Point area in recent weeks were probably attracted by the whale meat stored there by Eskimo whalers, who have hunted whales, seals, and polar bears in the Arctic Alaska for 4,000 years. The bear killed in the incident will be flown to Barrow, Alaska. There biologists will perform a necropsy of the bear in an attempt to determine whether it was undernourished, or other factors which may have affected its behavior.

The polar bear attack was the first reported to the Service since December, 1990, when a polar bear attacked and killed a man in Point Lay, Alaska. Under the federal Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972, the Service has trust and conservation responsibility for polar bears (Ursus maritimus, "sea bear"), which are not considered an endangered species. Service biologists estimate between 3,500 to 5,000 polar bears occupy U.S. territory around Alaska.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                        You mean like this?

Yes.

According to Service polar bear biologist Scott Schliebe, that bear and two or three others seen in the Oliktok Point area in recent weeks were probably attracted by the whale meat stored there by Eskimo whalers, who have hunted whales, seals, and polar bears in the Arctic Alaska for 4,000 years. The bear killed in the incident will be flown to Barrow, Alaska. There biologists will perform a necropsy of the bear in an attempt to determine whether it was undernourished, or other factors which may have affected its behavior.
                        It was looking for whale meat, not human meat.

The polar bear attack was the first reported to the Service since December, 1990, when a polar bear attacked and killed a man in Point Lay, Alaska. Under the federal Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972, the Service has trust and conservation responsibility for polar bears (Ursus maritimus, "sea bear"), which are not considered an endangered species. Service biologists estimate between 3,500 to 5,000 polar bears occupy U.S. territory around Alaska.
                        The first attack in a decade and a half, and they are actively hunting humans. Right.
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Maybe you should read my posts again.

Pffft.

Actually, it's just having a bit of fun, sweetheart. Don't get your panties in a twist.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The first attack in a decade and a half, and they are actively hunting humans. Right.
                            Less than 3 years actually with a bear population of 5,000 (most of which are not near humans, so the number of polar bears near civilization are substantially less), look at the article date.

Comment

• Decade and a half? That report was from 1993.

Comment

• "Canadian Jingos"

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Killing it is the new killing it
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X