barbaric canadians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alva
    Yep, killing a few animals is deffinately controling it.
    It does, and it has worked for decades. Canada pioneered many of these techniques, and is one of the most environmentally-friendly countries you can find in that respect.

Look at the animal population in our national parks and how closely they are monitored...we even introduced predators where possible if they were eliminated earlier by human involvement (ie, earlier hunting) to restore the natural balance.

If there's too much of one predator (seals) without a predator of their own to keep them in check, someone has to be that predator...else the whole system goes out of whack and there is mass starvation and they all die. It's happened before.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

What are you talking about? The goal is to control preditor populations so those populations stay in balance with the fish populations so we can reliably predict a sound level of fish harvest by humans. Of course hunting the preditors is going to control their population.

This has been done for decades and it has worked remarkably well. The problem is even with hunting the population has sky rockets, ergo, not enough hunting has been allowed in the past. The eco-nazis who tried to ban hunting are responsible for today's over population problems.
      I was talking 'bout controlling nature, killing a few animals is not controlling it, it is wat it is, killing a couple of animals.

So we shouldn't send anymore money to Africa either and let them starve?
      Damned you Geldof and damned be your live-aid!!!
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Culling seals

Clubbing animals to death
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
          Culling seals

Clubbing animals to death
          Myth #5: The club – or hakapik – is a barbaric tool that has no place in today’s world.

Reality: Clubs have been used by sealers since the onset of the hunt hundreds of years ago. Hakapiks originated with Norwegian sealers who found it very effective. Over the years, studies conducted by the various veterinary experts, and American studies carried out between 1969 and 1972 on the Pribilof Islands hunt (Alaska) have consistently proven that the club or hakapik is an efficient tool designed to kill the animal quickly and humanely. A recent report in September, 2002, by the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association, had results that parallel these findings.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

It's not the animal's welfare that troubles my mind. I leave that for my soul.

I am concerned about what impact might this have on people.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

at the original article.

Canadians seal because it is an important source of income and a plentiful resource. All parts of the seal are harvested and the killing of animals is no more or less barbaric than that which occurrs in most slaughterhouses in the US or Canada

If you are a vegetarian who also avoids leather, you are at least being consistent even if I don't agree with you. But if you have leather or eat meat please STFU.

The anti-sealing groups love to trot out the old falsehoods from time to time and have little interest in what really happens on the ice since sealing is usually just a money grab. They always show whitecoats for example when those have not been harvested for quite some time.
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                Canada has some of the strictest fish limits in the world. The country is known as a leader in the field of scientific wildlife management. You can control human fish catches pretty easily
                Actually, Canada has huge problems with Spanish and Portuguese fishermen who cheat on their limits.
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Clubbing Spanish and portugese fishermen

Heck, I'll join and come help you Canucks
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

I snuck into the Baltimore Zoo overnight and clubbed their seals.

I need more, though. Do you hear me? MORE
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Pansy Euros who can't stand the sight of a few seals being clubbed to death
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm not a Euro

seals are too cute to be clubbed. Club the ugly animals dammit.

Comment

Where might I order seal meat online?
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                            Pansy Euros who can't stand the sight of a few seals being clubbed to death
                            Yeah, cuz it really takes a man to do this..

Comment

I friend of my wanted to open a bar called Club Baby Seal.

I had a friend propose the same idea...

As for Canada...

Beat the **** out of them seals!
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I was born in Newfoundland and my mother's family depended on the seal hunt for money and meat during the winters (they are retired now). The seal hunt is closely supervised and it is a sustainable industry. I support it 100%.
                                Formerly known as Masuro.
                                The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

Working...
                                X