Japan: World War II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the explanation
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

No problem. Thank you for reminding me that I still need to check Yasukuni Jinja out. I need to see for myself what all the hubbub is about...
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
        I've always wondered how Japan teaches it's history when it comes to ww2. Or Germany. Do they go into the atrocities? I doubt it, since the U.S. doesn't go into its atrocities in ww2.

The Japanese hardly teach history. The textbooks are only around 300 pages long and there's hardly any text when compared to American textbooks. They're basically historical picture books.

Apparently, the Shinto temple Yasukuni in Tokyo, and its conjoined museum, is Japan's equivalent of the Smithsonian.

No.

The invasion of China (referred to as "the China incident") was inevitable because China was being controlled by the US and Britain, and forcing them to become anti-Japanese.

No.

According to a brochure sold there, the Pacific War was "not a war of aggression but just the opposite: it was a holy war to liberate the world from communism."

I seriously doubt that, but I've never seen a brochure from Yasukuni shrine, so I'll give it a big "maybe".

While Shintoism is no longer the state religion, the prime minister and various conservative members of the parliament have a habit of visiting Yasukuni, publicly. Worrysome, isn't it?

Not particularly. Then again, I know what Yasukuni Shrine actually is.
        Admittedly, I've been operating on information from '95. You'd be much more qualified to judge the situation now than I am.
        "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
          What game is that BTW?
          Navy Field
          NavyField,Unique MMORPG Real Time Naval Game,learn more about the game here!

MassivelyMultiplayerOnlineStrategyGame... Currently in public beta, so some crashing occurs...
          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Try The Rising Sun by John Tolland

Will make you realise what a strange place 1930's Japan was
            "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

Working...
            X